Carrera Vengeance - Honest opinions pls

Swervin Mervin
Swervin Mervin Posts: 50
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Howdy, noobie here!! I've recently bought a Carrera Vengeance Ltd disc spec. I'm not that knowledgeable about bikes and fancied something for a bit of off-roading, the commute to work and generally punting about on rather than using the car.

I spotted the Vengeance locally and bit the bullet as it had what I perceived to be a decent(ish) spec.

Rockshox Dart1 shock, Shimano Hydraulic brakes, Altus/Alivio gears, 6061 Alu frame.

I really like the look of the thing but can't help feel I've bought something cheap.

What's your opinion? Would I be better recouping £200 - £250 by selling it and getting something else?

Is it really 'cheap and nasty Halfords tat' or would be a bit dim to ditch it and throw more money at something that's not really gonna be that much different? (My revised budget would be £500 for whatever replaces it)

Thanks, I appreciate any opinions or advice?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is the fork that is the main problem - as soon as you take it off road over harder terrain its lack of damping and massive weight make the thing more of a hindrance.

You could add a fork like a Recon Silver TK for about £125, will make a marked difference.
  • Thanks Supersonic.....yeh, I gathered that. I like the brakes but get the feeling the gears are also cheap.....am I right? So, if someone came up and offered to put £250 in my hand for it? :?

What do you reckon? It is absolutely MINT and a damn fine looking bike. Would ya upgrade or simply replace?
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Nowt wrong with Alivio boss! Does what it says on the tin. Granted not quite as blingy or precise as an xtr etc setup but will work well. Im with Sonic throw the forks in the bin and youve a half decent bike.
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Cheers Steelie. I'm really torn. This is my black beauty.....I just dunno why it's not giving me the 'feelgood factor' ?

Sell2.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Make sure youi have enough seatpost in the frame.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Make sure youi have enough seatpost in the frame.

Hmm. Yeh, I'll take a look. :D

It is about 1.5 - 2cm beyond the marker. That's one of my other gripes. I'm 5' 11" and it's an 18" frame and it's prob a tad too small, though I quite like the aesthetics of a small frame and tall seatpost.

Your right though.....better check how much is actually in there! :wink:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Decent forks make 100000000000000000% difference.
    That may be an exageration, but rubbish forks, and Dart 1's are rubbish, will ruin any bike.
    £110 will make a major difference
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRETK-BL ... mm___1_1_8

THe rest of the bike, mechs etc are fine - if they break replace them, but I have cheap old mechs on some bikes that work perfectly and outlast new XT's.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Suntour xcr's if your short on cash and cant afford more expensive forks {awaits the abuse}

Oh and feel good factor, get to a trail centre and give it a beasting. Youll be grinning from ear to ear!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Any early morning views on my conundrum? I can sell the Carrera for £250 and put the money towards a £500 bike or would you keep it?
  • fergo
    fergo Posts: 56
    I have a 2010 vengeance ltd, given it some hammer past 2 years and think its a great bike, was looking to upgrade bike but have now decided to look into new forks (Dart 1's at mo) and other parts to make it lighter. Gears etc i have no issue with. See post on beginners forum as im unsure what to upgrade!
  • Personally, I would buy some new forks and wait until you've saved £1000.
    Then use that on your next bike. The difference between what you have now and a £500 bike isn't that big and isn't worth doing.
    The difference between what you currently have and a 1k bike is huge.

Edit: just seen CD's link - £110 for some Recons is well worth a punt!
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Ah well. Sold it this morning.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593

Thanks, I appreciate any opinions or advice?

Then do my own thing! Lol

But seriously with a £500 budget I'd be looking 2nd hand. My mate picked up a decent condition Orange Evo for about £350.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • billyballs
    billyballs Posts: 41
    He mentioned ORANGE guys. here we go.
  • snotty badger
    Not an ugly five though :wink:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • billyballs
    Not an ugly five though :wink:
    You,ve got a point there snotty. Damn i was hoping the post would turn into an orange handbag session. i like those .
  • snotty badger
    TodsHandbagLargeMocassinoOrange.jpg

Will that do?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • billyballs
    TodsHandbagLargeMocassinoOrange.jpg

Will that do?
    ha ha nice one . was it made in halifax. So do you think it looks better than a 5.