3x10 Chain control?

leaflite
leaflite Posts: 1,651
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Basically, last week at llandegla(on the hardtail) I got really fed up with the chain banging into the front mech on anything remotely rocky or bumpy.

I was originally considering swapping to 1x10 and fitting a chainguide as most of the riding I do doesnt warrant the extra front rings. However, im worried about losing the versitility of the 3x10 setup for when I go on holiday to other places that may be more hilly. Im also worried about increasing resistance in the drivetrain from the rollers etc in the chainguide.

Is there any other option available that will allow me to keep the versitility of the 3x drivetrain, whilst stopping the chain rattling about(short of fitting an xtr shadow plus rear mech)? Would something like the bionicon c guide do the trick? How would something like this compare in resistance to a proper 1x chainguide?

Thanks

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a 2x9 set up with an e13 twin ring roller guide on it whcih works well. You cant go to 3 rings that way but you could go for something like the chain guide thingummy on the new Stumpjumpers - I think they sell a similar thing for all bikes on CRC, whether it works I cant say and will depend on your bikes frame design as well.

I dont often miss my large ring witht he setup I have but if you ride on road a fair bit you might - in middle and the 11t at the back I can scurry along the flat tarmac OK get a bit out geared on decents on road I guess.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.