Puzzled by Garmin Time Stats

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
When I upload my stats to the Garmin Connect site, I am a bit puzzled as to why there are 3 different time figures. Moving Time is self-explanatory and Elapsed Time is as well as it is the total time taken from when you set-off until you finish and save the ride. Elapsed Time kicks in on the display as soon as I stop, so I would have thought what is not Elapsed Time is Moving Time. However there is another time figure just called Time. It is usually a few minutes longer that Moving Time, but less than the total of Elapsed Time, so I am not sure how it is calculated, but it it this figure that is used to work out the Average Speed. I must be missing something obvious - can anyone advise how this Time figure is calculated as its not Moving Time or Elapsed Time (Moving Time plus time stopped)?

I have also started downloading my rides to Strava and there there is only two time figures there - Moving Time and Elapsed Time, but for some reason the Moving Time figures on Strava differ quite a lot from the Moving Time figures on Garmin Connect. Can anyone explain that?

Comments

• humpyg
    humpyg Posts: 50
    Does this help?
    From http://connect.garmin.com/help/faq#settings

How are the Time measurements defined at Garmin Connect?
    Garmin Connect provides three Time measurements on the Details page:

Time
    Time is the recording time reported by the device. For Fitness devices, this should equal the Time value reported on the device. For other devices, this should equal the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity.

Avg Speed/Pace is based off the Time value.

Moving Time
    Garmin Connect calculates Moving Time by removing the amount of time when the user is stopped. This is helpful for customers who upload activities with a Garmin device that either don't have AutoPause or have AutoPause turned off. For those who have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity, the Moving Time should be very close or equal to Time.

Avg Moving Speed/Pace is based off the Moving Time value.

Elapsed Time
    Garmin Connect calculates the Elapsed Time by the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity. This is helpful for customers with a Garmin device that have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity. For those who don't have AutoPause or have that feature turned off on their device, Elapsed time should be very close or equal to Time.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Could everybody please stop shouting.
  • ForumNewbie
    edited June 2012
    jim453 wrote:
    Could everybody please stop shouting.
    Making cetain words bold just emphasises/highlights them, it doesn't indicate shouting or anger. If you type a message in CAPITAL LETTERS, that indicates the person is angry or shouting.
  • ForumNewbie
    humpyg wrote:
    Does this help?
    From http://connect.garmin.com/help/faq#settings

How are the Time measurements defined at Garmin Connect?
    Garmin Connect provides three Time measurements on the Details page:

Time
    Time is the recording time reported by the device. For Fitness devices, this should equal the Time value reported on the device. For other devices, this should equal the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity.

Avg Speed/Pace is based off the Time value.

Moving Time
    Garmin Connect calculates Moving Time by removing the amount of time when the user is stopped. This is helpful for customers who upload activities with a Garmin device that either don't have AutoPause or have AutoPause turned off. For those who have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity, the Moving Time should be very close or equal to Time.

Avg Moving Speed/Pace is based off the Moving Time value.

Elapsed Time
    Garmin Connect calculates the Elapsed Time by the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity. This is helpful for customers with a Garmin device that have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity. For those who don't have AutoPause or have that feature turned off on their device, Elapsed time should be very close or equal to Time.
    Thanks, I saw this in the Help section, but still wasn't sure how the Time figure was calculated. Looking at the Elapsed Time description again, I think that Time must include those times that the Garmin goes into Auto Pause - I think my Garmin is set to Auto-Pause if it drops under about 3mph. Even at my slow pace it is only on very very steep inclines when I am struggling to turn the pedals that my Auto Pause bleep on an off, but that should only make a difference of a few seconds difference and only on very hilly rides - but it can sometimes amount to a few minutes difference, which doesn't seem to add up.