Picked up my new bike. small issue tho

Spighty
Spighty Posts: 90
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So I picked up my used Giant Yukon this evening.

It was off some commutor person in london.

It pretty much seems ok all the wheels spin the crak is nice and free.

The only issue I have is that the chain is slipping under load.

The bike didnt come with a chain as it was broke.

so I fitted a new s ram power link chain but it seems to skip under pressure I got the right chain the 8 speed one.

Any ideas on what could be causing it to slip?

Shall I take it into the shop for them to look at or is there stuff I can check?

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    It's skipping under load so probably an indexing issue. I'd get a new cassette as well and maybe even chainrings.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    are the teeth on the sprockets worn??? if its been used as a commuter its probably done 376 million miles and they could well be worn. needing new cassette and chain rings on the crank
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Spighty
    it had a new cassete in march when serviced
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It could be either an indexing issue causing it to jump to a lower gear and back up (can feel like it's jumping) or a worn cassette or rings....or it COULD be a chain too long (you followed the sizing guide, right?)

Any bets the previous owner bought a new chain, it didn't fix it so kept the chain and sold the bike?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Spighty
    It wasn't the kind of person that fixed bikes. He had receipts for puncture repairs so everything was shop done the rear cassette looks brand new if I'm honest.

I followed the fitting guide big ring to big ring plus 2 links.
  • Spighty
    It may be a index issue as the front de railed rubs a little and needs adjusting. I may follow the guide to set it up. As well as rear.
  • Spighty
    Is the guide in the workshop section about setting up gears a good guide to setting up the gears or is there a better one available?
  • steelie600
    thats spot on that one or look on youtube under parktools also a very good one
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Spighty
    Thank you, Will give that a try tomorrow.

need to get a little tool kit first
  • Spighty
    Had a play with the gear setting today it has im-proved a bit but I think it will be a new cassette to fix. The only time it slips is on the 3 small cogs at the back.

Any reccomendations for a new cassette or will any 8 speed one do?
  • steelie600
    just a matching one for your gears, shimano for shimano etc. Pretty sure theyre all the same but if you keep it all inhouse you cant go wrong.

OH can I say I told you so yet??
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Makes no difference whether it's Shimano or Sram. Just pick a cheap one with the ratios you want.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Spighty
    steelie600 wrote:

OH can I say I told you so yet??

No you can't.

I will get a cassette when near a shop done 3 miles on bike today and wasn't so bad.

The back brake is fooked tho. May have to get some new brakes as both are poor. Real poor