Birds should not be kept in the kitchen

Twostage
Twostage Posts: 987
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Actually the full sentence is "We recommend that birds should not be kept in the kitchen".
The above quote is probably the weirdest thing I've ever read in a set of instructions. If the instructions had been on a bird cage you would maybe think "fair enough" but this was from a Tefal frying pan. See below :-

7315496258_dbe6e697c8_c.jpg
IMG-20120601-00020 by twostage, on Flickr

They must have been sued by an angry bird owner.

Comments

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Rather bizarrely, I do have experience of this! I used to have two cockatiels, and when I moved to London my living room/kitchen was open plan. I had one tefal non-stick pan (for pancakes) and the first time I used it, my birds died :-( They literally just fell off their perch. So, it does happen.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    If it can kill a couple of cockatiels what's it going to do to my lungs? :roll:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I've read about this before. Pretty nasty stuff eh?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Yup, not good. Do not overheat Teflon.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,967
    I agree. Its a particularly bad idea to keep emus in the kitchen. They take up a lot of space and are no help whatsoever.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Back when I worked for a big USA based multinational, they sent around an advisory notice to all employees during the Global bird Flu pandemic that looked like it'd been thrown together one afternoon.

It offered the advice 'not to share your house with old birds', which we thought was funny. I don't think they use the same slang in the USA.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    A very quick google found this....

http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/teflon4.htm
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    msmancunia wrote:
    Rather bizarrely, I do have experience of this! I used to have two cockatiels, and when I moved to London my living room/kitchen was open plan. I had one tefal non-stick pan (for pancakes) and the first time I used it, my birds died :-( They literally just fell off their perch. So, it does happen.

Are you sure they weren't just resting?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,967
    Greg66 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

IMPTYVMP029_500.jpg
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Use ceramic frying pans, last longer and don't degrade and gradually add themselves to your food.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Greg66 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Bit late now, I had them cremated! But as John Cleese said, they had definitely "ceased to exist"...
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I had a particularly frightening experience once while out on a ride past an ostrich farm near me when some ostriches managed to get out through an open gate and chased me down the road. Now these are big, angry, scary, fast birds. I sprinted flat out down the road and just managed to get home blowing like a steam train and in through the front door when they came running in behind me cornering me in the kitchen. I quickly reached for my teflon frying pan with my left hand and threw it onto the hob whist lighting it with my right. It was a close call. :oops:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sorry - I thought this was another barefoot and pregnant thread :wink:
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    merkin wrote:
    I had a particularly frightening experience once while out on a ride past an ostrich farm near me when some ostriches managed to get out through an open gate and chased me down the road. Now these are big, angry, scary, fast birds. I sprinted flat out down the road and just managed to get home blowing like a steam train and in through the front door when they came running in behind me cornering me in the kitchen. I quickly reached for my teflon frying pan with my left hand and threw it onto the hob whist lighting it with my right. It was a close call. :oops:
    Absolutely PMSL :D:D:D