Jubilee weekend.

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Well the bank holiday weekend has been delayed by a week, but it is finally here and to boot, the queen is 60 years on the throne and has given us (the lucky ones that is) an extra day off. :D

So what are the plans?

For me, my weekend started today, been out for a gentle 60 miler, now catching up with the 'tour series', with a couple of beers provided by our Belgium friends.

Tomorrow, GF's at work so get to go for another spin before probably being dragged around the shops. Sunday BBQ at my mums, Monday and Tuesday no plans as of yet so will see if i can get out for a few miles.

Happy times.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Hope to get out on Monday too, not decided what yet. Club ride on Sunday am but going to keep it short cos likely to be wet. Weather on Monday fortunately is looking better.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    working and earning extra holiday days.
  • Planning on a few laps of RP tomorrow morning, Westfields in the afternoon. Race training on Sunday with Pearson's and a BC coach at Hillingdon if it's not chucking it down. Monday free. Tuesday, possible cycle ride in the morning to Windsor, followed by a street party. That is all. :)
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Well, we had a street party yesterday. It rained, a lot. So much that even in a gazebo the electrics were getting wet, so the band moved into the pub. A great night was had by all.
    MRS, how was Brands?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Rode 25 miles around Manchester city centre on the Brompton today. \o/

Yesterday, wifey and the kids went to Morecambe prom for a street party. It was cold and wet; shame, 'cause Saturday and today were great. I watched a bit of the North West Youth Tour cycling at my local track.

Might get out on the road bike tomorrow.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • optimisticbiker
    Didn't get out on Sunday, weather was foul, so last night decided on a whim to do an 'as the crow flies' route to Southend from NW London. Quick burst of RideWithGPS'ing last night created a fairly straight route and this morning 98km and 3h50 later I was eating fish n chips washed down with a cuppa by the pier. Nice easy, relatively flat ride (other than crossing London W to E where you can't avoid the N London bump, and the 0.8km 9%er at South Benfleet). Got the train back to Fenchurch St and pootled the 14miles home. So a nice dry and occasionally sunny 75 miles for the day :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Went down into town for a weekend of the whole shebang; left on Saturday and got back tonight.

I've got no time for the nay-sayers & republicans who sneer at this sort of thing. This was a bit of history and we went down there to be part of it, and had a fine old time of it too. Sometimes bicycling can get stuffed; standing on a concrete block near The Tower of London for 3 hours whilst the crowd builds and then The Queen looms into view has a lot to be said for it.

Saw HM, she saw me, we were on Brazilian TV (apparently) and a good time was had. Might go out for 15 miles tomorrow but I - and we - wouldn't have missed this. Today's Telegraph sums the mood of the day really quite well.

Next week stupid attempts at being an average cyclist resume.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,967
    I plan to sit at home and watch the saturation coverage of public spending in central London.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I've lost the plot. Good lady wife and number one girl have left for a week in north Wales, I have degenerated into a beer drinking, movie watching, farting archetype of a male slob.

Worse, I've just spent the last hour and a half cleaning up emails - on a bank holiday.

I am a sad excuse of a man. It is raining but I'm heading out for a forty mile loop to redeem something of self esteem.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • optimisticbiker
    Bashed out another quick 26 miles on my 'round Harrow loop' this morning, getting out early to avoid the rain. Knocked 3m26s off my best time to date on that, at a lower average heart rate... could be I'm fitter (but calculated Watts is about the same), or the new wheels have given me extra zip... vertical climbing speed has improved from 363 to 544 Vm/hr
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,079
    SimonAH wrote:
    I've lost the plot. Good lady wife and number one girl have left for a week in north Wales, I have degenerated into a beer drinking, movie watching, farting archetype of a male slob.
    When you're married with kids, that's not losing the plot, it's light relief.

Managed a good couple of hours in between rain storms last night round the suburbs of SE London, should last me for another day or 2 before I go stir crazy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I was racing in the pouring rain at Brands Hatch - not like a proper Kentish summer
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    I was racing in the pouring rain at Brands Hatch - not like a proper Kentish summer
    Thought it may have been a touch damp. Send us a link when the video is up. Hope the rain worked in your favour.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Here's the video from the wet race

http://youtu.be/MXNklRHjAzE

Started from the back of the grid after clutch problems in quali (though managed Alfa pole using only 3rd and 4th gear) and race 1 (tried to drive Brands in just 4th). Lot's of cars off all over the place
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Went down to Cornwall. Did a little bit of riding before breakfast on a couple of days (the wet ones, as it turned out) and indulged in pasties and beer as part of the recovery process...

Saw the celebrations on tv. Fantastic.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    worked though, though did join the street party after work.

did manage to climb a few places on this segment to 6th. http://app.strava.com/segments/1116280 was in the day so walkers and such, have to see what happens on a late shift when it's just me and the deer.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    should have been at work but still recuperating after my knee op. I caught 10 seconds of John Barrowman being interviewed by Fern Cotton and Jake Humphrey on BBC1 and went out.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Worked it.
    Earned loadsa money.
    Spent little.
    Looking forward to a nice relaxing holiday time in lieu without the crowds soon,
    Win win.

I've nothing against the royals but as I don't know them personally I can't see the point in being caught up in the 'mass must enjoy it' scenario.

Bah humbug
    Peter
  • veronese68
    Here's the video from the wet race

http://youtu.be/MXNklRHjAzE

Started from the back of the grid after clutch problems in quali (though managed Alfa pole using only 3rd and 4th gear) and race 1 (tried to drive Brands in just 4th). Lot's of cars off all over the place
    Just got round to watching that in full. Wow, you were certainly busy in that. Looked like a good grid, would have been nice to see that live. Another time I hope.