Is purchase 70 miles away advisable to buy new MTB

chuzzwuzzer
chuzzwuzzer Posts: 14
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
My 15 year old lad has been saving his pennies for a new hardtail and it seems that the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 is his best bet spec wise for 500 quid.Trouble is nearest Decathlon store is 70 odd miles away .Dont mind making the journey to buy the bike but concerned if we have problems etc its going to be a pain in the arse and expensive to keep going back. Is it best to stick to local shops and Halfrauds although i doubt he'll get the spec of the RR. Anyone else made a long distance purchase especially with Decathlon

Comments

• malawitom
    malawitom Posts: 9
    If travelling means you get more quality time with your son to chat and seem him enjoying using his savings - it is worth 70 miles!
    No idea how reliable the bike is though.....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless something serious goes wrong, and I doubt it will, a little bit of routine maintenence generally keeps bikes running fine, and if something minor breaks, just replace it.
    If it's serious it will be worth the trip.
    I've had quite a few bikes in my time, new and second hand (over a period of more than forty years) and so far none have ever broken (in a warranty period anyway) or needed expert help, ever.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Lucky that ;-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not really, I ride like a pussy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda