Which shin/knee pads?!

jaggy_snake
jaggy_snake Posts: 8
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
So I'm pretty new to this biking thing, and had my first serious tumble recently. It was bad enough to merit a trip to the hospital and an operation, so I'm going to invest in some GOOD protection. I'm not keen on the hard plastic guards so have been looking at a few soft pads. I've sorted out my arms so the advice I am looking for is for knee pads, specifically knee/shin pads. Here are the ones I am considering:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=80040

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=59944

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=73274

If anyone has any experience with these it would be great to hear from you - the last thing I want to do is waste money, and I'm not too keen on visiting the hospital again.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I use 661 veggies for all day riding - I've got barely any skin on my knee from a motorbike accident so almost always wear them. Barely notice them when riding really but give me the extra confidence to go a bit more "balls out"!

Looking at the Rampage range now though for DH and an Alps trip.
  • Thanks for your input! I don't think i feel that the veggies are substantial enough for the kind of riding I do. I was contemplating getting the veggie shin guards and having a separate knee pad but I've been told that'll just be uncomfortable. Think this is going to be a bit of trial and error...
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    What kind of riding will you be doing? I've used these for anything from trail centres to rocky Peak District descents and DH runs at the Forest of Dean.

That said I don't seem to fall off when wearing them, only when I don't! The Rampage ones are a bit more rugged with the D3O type foam.

I do like the look of the POC ones but they are crazy money compared to anything else!
  • I try to do a bit of everything - one of my favourite local places has a pretty tight circuit which includes twisty climbs through woodland, a pump section, a pretty fast drop run on rock and a series of dirt jumps. The idea is to just keep going and that's my general take on riding - I don't want to have to stop to change pads at each section of my ride. I know that a trade off will have to be made somewhere, but at the moment I'm just looking for a rugged "do it all" pad that I can wear for however long I'm on my bike and that won't tear when I hit the deck. I'm really leaning towards the POC ones but I'd like to get a pair tried on, or at least get an honest review from someone who has used them! Been burned with mail order before.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i use the veggie shin they pretty decent..
    i know the 661 evo the d30 one aint very good they just rip off the knee under impact..
    some people swear by 661 kyle strait but in my exp they ripoff under impact.
    the pocs are good but i heard people complain about them falling down as you ride as they only have one strap to secure them.. i think the 2012 version has 2 straps to combat this..
    if those tld one are anything like the tld tbones they will be perfect.. i know the tld ones you listed scored some really good reviews ...

i dont bother with shin guards now i just use knee pads...
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I just use knee-only pads. Been using Kyle Straits for a while now, they're great for downhill etc, saved my knees many a time. I've used them for XC before, and they're alright, they can chaff a bit though, and they get sweaty and nasty, and tend to fall down when they get waterlogged on a wet ride, ao I've pretty much given up wearing them for XC. I would imagine most of the more substantial pads would do the same. If you're only riding XC (which it sounds like to me), just go with some 661 veggies or something, that's what they're made for. You're not going to have much fun riding all day in downhill pads.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    G form. I use their knee pads. They're just soft flexy lycra leg warmers until you hit something then they go solid and lock hard to protect you. £40 a pair.

http://g-form.com/products/knee-pad/

Fantastic and i'd thorougly reccomend them for anything except full on DH. I'll never go back to hard pads now.