Halfords discount code

garynevstasche
garynevstasche Posts: 99
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on my first 'proper' mountain bike this weekend.

Had my budget slashed due to unforeseen car expenses so I'm now looking at between £350 - £450. I'm pretty much sold on a Voodoo bike, now just a question of whether I go for the Hoodoo or Bantu (trying to figure out whether the extra £90 for the Hoodoo is worth it for a first bike).

Just wondered whether there are any Halfords discount codes for online sales floating around at the moment. Everyone I knew of seems to have expired.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Neither are bad bikes. The hoodoo is 1kg lighter and there's small differences in spec such as forks, brakes and drivetrain but they both seem to be on the same par.

And not that I know of, there was a student one floating around last month, but there doesn't seem to be anything as off yet.
  • Greer_ wrote:
    Neither are bad bikes. The hoodoo is 1kg lighter and there's small differences in spec such as forks, brakes and drivetrain but they both seem to be on the same par.

And not that I know of, there was a student one floating around last month, but there doesn't seem to be anything as off yet.

They both seem to offer decent spec for the money.

One thing I was wondering was whether the two frames are the same (colour aside) , as they seem to be. I'm guessing the 1kg weight difference could easily be explained by componentry fitted to them.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Yep the frames will be pretty much identical. Could be a heavier fork, finishing kit, wheels or drivetrain. It all adds up. A kg difference is quite noticeable.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    +Hoodoo Better fork, tyres, drivetrain. I was in the same boat and got the hoodoo in the end.

Yeah just tried NUSJUN12 and had no luck - try variations of it?

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/member ... -discounts

Cheapest membership is bronze at £13.50 and then get the £45 back in discount, but never done it so not sure how it works. Plus there might be other benefits from membership.

Pretty sure you can't combine discounts though - i.e. student % with british cycling %

hope that helps
  • Greer_ wrote:
    Yep the frames will be pretty much identical. Could be a heavier fork, finishing kit, wheels or drivetrain. It all adds up. A kg difference is quite noticeable.

I went offroad for the first time in about 15 years this week on a heavier bike than the Bantu. Around 15 miles over varying terrain around Machynlleth (it was the Mach 2 course from The Holey Trail bike shop there), perhaps a bit too much as I'm trying to get back into the swing of things! Bike didn't feel too heavy (except on a couple of climbs, but my lack of fitness was as much to blame!), though I don't really have a reference point other than my road bike.

Thinking the Bantu as my budget is pretty tight at the moment, and if it offers pretty much all that the Hoodoo does then I'd be happy saving the £90.
  • anj132 wrote:
    +Hoodoo Better fork, tyres, drivetrain. I was in the same boat and got the hoodoo in the end.

Yeah just tried NUSJUN12 and had no luck - try variations of it?

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/member ... -discounts

Cheapest membership is bronze at £13.50 and then get the £45 back in discount, but never done it so not sure how it works. Plus there might be other benefits from membership.

Pretty sure you can't combine discounts though - i.e. student % with british cycling %

hope that helps

Thanks for the link.

Really been trying to assess whether the forks, drivetrain, etc. are going to be noticeably better. Was in Halfords in Aberystwyth on the weekend and from what I could see the Bantu had an X1 fork, the Hoodoo an X3. The Bantu has Shimano gearing one tier lower (Acera vs. Alivio). The biggest tangible difference could end up being the tyres.

EDIT: I've now seen the spec of the Hoodoo says X1 rather than the X3 I saw on it in Aberystwyth, similarly the Bantu is a 'standard' Raidon rather than the X1 I saw earlier in the week. I'm 99% certain of what I saw in Aberystwyth Halfords, though the bikes in my local Halfords (Merry Hill) agree to the spec on the website. Is it possible that the display bikes have been assembled incorrectly? Or are they previous season's bikes?
  • anj132

Thanks for the link.

Really been trying to assess whether the forks, drivetrain, etc. are going to be noticeably better. Was in Halfords in Aberystwyth on the weekend and from what I could see the Bantu had an X1 fork, the Hoodoo an X3. The Bantu has Shimano gearing one tier lower (Acera vs. Alivio). The biggest tangible difference could end up being the tyres.

EDIT: I've now seen the spec of the Hoodoo says X1 rather than the X3 I saw on it in Aberystwyth, similarly the Bantu is a 'standard' Raidon rather than the X1 I saw earlier in the week. I'm 99% certain of what I saw in Aberystwyth Halfords, though the bikes in my local Halfords (Merry Hill) agree to the spec on the website. Is it possible that the display bikes have been assembled incorrectly? Or are they previous season's bikes?

I'm pretty sure it won't be a previous season bike to have the different forks, so could of been assembled incorrectly I guess, but I thought Halfords bikes came pre boxed and was just a case of tightening a few things, so it seems a proper screw up if they've managed that.
  • anj132 wrote:

Thanks for the link.

I'm pretty sure it won't be a previous season bike to have the different forks, so could have been assembled incorrectly I guess, but I thought Halfords bikes came pre boxed and was just a case of tightening a few things, so it seems a proper screw up if they've managed that.

Or, playing Devil's Advocate, a way to make the bikes seem more attractive to prospective buyers.

Smaller issue, but the Bantu I saw today was fitted with Alivio shifters when the spec says it has Acera shifters.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    This isn't great but all helps a tad - £10 voucher on reserve & collects. May be useful for accessories etc

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-10 ... rward=true
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • kontraband
    kontraband Posts: 14
    Anyone know if Halfords sometimes do sales on boardman bikes? I'd be tempted to go for a mtb comp if say they knocked 50 quid off it + a 10% discount voucher.
  • anj132
    kontraband wrote:
    Anyone know if Halfords sometimes do sales on boardman bikes? I'd be tempted to go for a mtb comp if say they knocked 50 quid off it + a 10% discount voucher.

Not very often. I think you'll be waiting a while.

I'm sure the comp went up around 6-9 months ago and then did a 'sale' to not quite the original price.

Haven't seen a sale on the Fury for a while either.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    anj132 wrote:
    kontraband wrote:

Not very often. I think you'll be waiting a while.

I'm sure the comp went up around 6-9 months ago and then did a 'sale' to not quite the original price.

Haven't seen a sale on the Fury for a while either.

The new Fury is still a tad new tbh think its only been available since September/October 2011. I imagine it'll go on sale around then this year.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    waby1234 wrote:
    This isn't great but all helps a tad - £10 voucher on reserve & collects. May be useful for accessories etc

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-10 ... rward=true

Cheers for this ... Done a cheeky google on my phone while in Halfords buying a new Thule 591 ... Used it to convince them to give the £10 off the price there and then ...