Dual purpose pedals

mattjevans
mattjevans Posts: 253
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I have to get some new pedals for my new bike, I want something that I can use both for "proper" riding w SPD shoes and also to pop to the playground with my kid in sneakers

I am too old to be bothering with the shin injuries of the popular platform pedals (which to be honest would be my preference, but I just can't deal with the inevitable shin ripping on a grip bolt)

Is the platform around the Shimano 530 big enough for what I want, or do I need to look at something like a Crank Bros Mallet 2 ?

Comments appreciated (except for comments suggesting I buy two pairs of pedals...)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Then I won't comment.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattjevans
    cooldad wrote:
    Then I won't comment.

Appreciated.... :D
  • You might get away with something like the Mallets, but they won't be very good as flats. SPDs with platforms are just that - they're not meant to work as both, really. I have a pair of Shimano SPDs and a pair of DX SPDs with platforms, the DXs are nicer to ride on with flat shoes than the normal SPDs, but not by much, quite uncomfortable and not at ALL grippy. For popping to the shops they'd be fine, but I wouldn't want to ride off road with them.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">We live in the unhappy shadows of skyscrapers freight trains and malls</font id="size1">
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I'll keep my mouth shut too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    If when you're using them as flats it really is just going to be pootling around town of with the kid/not doing much at all then you could aways get a full on set of SPDs and some of those crappy little plastic things that clip in to make a flat surface pedal... not much use for any proper biking but might suit your needs, maybe, possibly. I think they're crap though.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Dual sided pedals don't work - end of! You could try a pedal with a cage such as the M424 but other than making it easier to clip in (at first) it provides next to no support. I use my M520's for going round to the shops and they're tiny, but for all they're used with flats, they're fine. If I'm going further, I just bring a bag with normal shoes in them. I've used both the pedals I've mentioned - the M424's got swapped out after a few months, I bought them to give some support but they didn't help and just got in the way.
  • cooldad
    Angry Bird wrote:
    If when you're using them as flats it really is just going to be pootling around town of with the kid/not doing much at all then you could aways get a full on set of SPDs and some of those crappy little plastic things that clip in to make a flat surface pedal... not much use for any proper biking but might suit your needs, maybe, possibly. I think they're crap though.
    Those crappy little plastic things serve two purposes - let someone check out the bike around the parking lot and as they have reflectors fitted, make the bike 'legal' to sell. Once sold they belong in the dustbin, they are no use for riding at all.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps I have still not commented on the Op's original question. This is important.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Funny you should say that. My mate's been riding them for 2 years now
  • cooldad
    And you didn't tell him?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Oh I told him. Some People can't be told I'm scard.

They remained clipped in tho, so worked like rubbish two sider SPD type things
  • mattjevans
    Crank Bros Mallet 1's it is then....
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I know the OP said "don't say two sets of pedals", has he thought about two bikes?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I know the OP said "don't say two sets of pedals", has he thought about two bikes?

This guy's cracked it.
  • cooldad
    Genius. You can never have too many.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mattjevans
    I (the OP) have four bikes. Each has to have 1 ("one") set of pedals.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All I know is when I looked into them the resounding opinion was dual sided were crap. Worst of both worlds.

Seen them out on rides and the rider is always struggling to flip them to the side they want and with clips they struggle clipping them in.

Again won't say the sensible suggestion, but will say just get *good* platforms with big pins (yes they seem shin denting scary) + very good shoes that grip. Five Tens or something with similar soles, or waffle tread Vans or similar. You won't come off them when riding.

Just be careful when wheeling the bike about and crashing carries a shin risk. These are the only times I get them. But what they hell. Age shouldn't make any difference. Just a scratch. Or just don't crash.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'm not saying a word...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    so far my mallets are fine for looking for my kids at night to get them in for bed enough grip for trainers
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • mattjevans
    deadkenny wrote:
    All I know is when I looked into them the resounding opinion was dual sided were crap. Worst of both worlds.

Seen them out on rides and the rider is always struggling to flip them to the side they want and with clips they struggle clipping them in.

Again won't say the sensible suggestion, but will say just get *good* platforms with big pins (yes they seem shin denting scary) + very good shoes that grip. Five Tens or something with similar soles, or waffle tread Vans or similar. You won't come off them when riding.

Just be careful when wheeling the bike about and crashing carries a shin risk. These are the only times I get them. But what they hell. Age shouldn't make any difference. Just a scratch. Or just don't crash.

Just to be clear, I wasn't (and still am not) considering dual sided pedals. What I want is a clipless that has enough platform to sensibly ride in trainers in very tame riding situations eg. with kids to the park.
  • mattjevans
    craigw99 wrote:
    so far my mallets are fine for looking for my kids at night to get them in for bed enough grip for trainers

thanks, that's helpful