Riis New Autobiography

cycling5280
cycling5280 Posts: 279
edited June 2012 in Pro race
I think it's great Riis admitted to doping when he was a racer. I'm sure the admission was a huge weight off his shoulder. I'm just curious if as a DS he has ever suggested or made doping a available to his riders and if so, when he'll admit to that? Clearly if he admits that now he'll be gone as a DS forever and be banned from the sport so it makes sense to stay quiet just to keep his job. When did he truly realize doping was bad? last year? As soon as he retired? He was a DS for two highly publicized dopers...Hamilton and Basso. Look forward to reading his autobiography.

http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/bjarne-ri ... plans.html

Comments

• shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I think it's great Riis admitted to doping when he was a racer. I'm sure the admission was a huge weight off his shoulder. I'm just curious if as a DS he has ever suggested or made doping a available to his riders and if so, when he'll admit to that? Clearly if he admits that now he'll be gone as a DS forever and be banned from the sport so it makes sense to stay quiet just to keep his job. When did he truly realize doping was bad? last year? As soon as he retired? He was a DS for two highly publicized dopers...Hamilton and Basso. Look forward to reading his autobiography.

When there was finally enough evidence that he could no longer deny his doping.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

...and when they could no longer strip him of his TdF title

Riis is a great DS and a master tactician but he deserves little credit as a racer.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    About 80 pages in - excellent read so far.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I thought the answer was never. He's cool with doping, it's the getting caught he doesn't like.
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279

...and when they could no longer strip him of his TdF title

Riis is a great DS and a master tactician but he deserves little credit as a racer.

He was definitely a great racer no doubt. I'm just wondering how much of a doping influence he has had on his riders as a DS? And when he's willing to admit to that next? The general consensus is that that Bruyneel is a shady DS with all the doping allegations and/or convictions of riders under his management. Don't hear much about Riis in that respect with Hamilton and Basso. Just that he doped as a racer.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550

He was definitely a great racer no doubt. I'm just wondering how much of a doping influence he has had on his riders as a DS? And when he's willing to admit to that next? The general consensus is that that Bruyneel is a shady DS with all the doping allegations and/or convictions of riders under his management. Don't hear much about Riis in that respect with Hamilton and Basso. Just that he doped as a racer.

No, he wasn't a great racer at all.

The shadiness of Bruyneel comes from specific allegations of organised team doping as well as from the amount of his riders that have at some point (usually when leaving his team) been caught. Then throw in a claim or two of having some good contacts in the UCI and allow to simmer.

Meanwhile, plenty suspect Riis of being a touch dodgy with his teams, but there's not a lot of evidence out there, as far as I'm aware.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • T_Pucker
    T_Pucker Posts: 18
    Even without half the shite Bjarne dumped through his system he was a 'solid' professional rider... not saying he was Tour-winner-material, just that he wasn't as poor as some like to make out...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    edited June 2012
    It really depends upon your definition of poor but (and this is a genuine question) is there any other doping TdF winner with such a "poor" palmares as Riis? He can by no means be considered a "great" of cycling.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    T_Pucker wrote:
    Even without half the shite Bjarne dumped through his system he was a 'solid' professional rider... not saying he was Tour-winner-material, just that he wasn't as poor as some like to make out...

That is pretty much what Fignon said about Riis in his autobiography..
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)