quick release issue

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
this is a problem which i have had for a while but its getting worse. i seem to have trouble seating the front wheel correctly. i set the quick release and all seems well, but quite often the clamp slips? leaving the wheel sitting crooked over to one side. i seem to have to set it a few times and suddenly its ok? im guessing the quick release i knackered?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Possibly - make sure the hub axle is not bent. Turn it in your fingers. Feel smooth and turns in a nice circle?
  • crispy1980
    it seems ok.the wierd thing ive noticed today is that the wassher on the qr (m sits against the forks) issmaller than the recess that it fits into, isthisnormal?reason i ask is because onthe rear thewasher seems a pretty good fit for the recess?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I had a similar problem on a new bike. The clamp would slip under braking and I'd need to release and reseat the wheel. Swapped the skewer for a shimano one and the problem was solved.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • crispy1980
    that sounds exactly like my problem. cheers,ill give that a try
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't see where or why there would be a washer? The QR clamps up against the dropouts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    worth checking the bearings for play?
  • crispy1980
    yeah not really a washer, but the metal disc that is part of the clamp. ive orderedd some bolt up jobs to see if they any better, dont really need the quick releae function so much.