did my first 50 mile ride today :)

Millerman007
Millerman007 Posts: 60
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
well chuffed with myself had a day off work so planed to go on a long ride , did 50.7 miles in 2:58:26 at an average of 17 miles per hour elevation gain was 1650 ft not bad i think considering I'm 122 kilos :( it will make my 21.5 mile a day ride feel like a stroll in the park now LOL :)
Trek Madone 5.9 2012
Cboardman Team 2011

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Imagine how much better the day would have been if you had not got a bike computer spuing out all these numbers.

Take it off, smash it with and axe and throw it over next doors fence. 8)

Well done on the distance though :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Imagine how much better the day would have been if you had not got a bike computer spuing out all these numbers.

ermm thanks but i like numbers as they tell me how I'm getting on :D
    Trek Madone 5.9 2012
    Cboardman Team 2011
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    well chuffed with myself had a day off work so planed to go on a long ride , did 50.7 miles in 2:58:26 at an average of 17 miles per hour elevation gain was 1650 ft not bad i think considering I'm 122 kilos :( it will make my 21.5 mile a day ride feel like a stroll in the park now LOL :)

Considering your weight (no offence), that's good going. You must be solid muscle. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    smidsy wrote:

Sometimes I think I would be better off without a computer.

I went out with a mate on his first ride. He is very unfit and I went out on my Boardman which at the moment doesn't have a computer. Just ambled around at a very leisurely pace and reall enjoyed the fact i wasn't trying to go fast or beat a certain time.

Well done on the 50 miles though, that is a good ride.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Nice one, very respectable pace too. Next step a metric ton :D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • thanks for all the comments so far well not all solid muscle got a bit of a belly but hope it will go very soon
    and yes think i will try for a 75 mile ride first then try the 100 :) have to say even though i have the computer
    i only really look at the distance travelled whilst I'm riding the other info is when i upload it , i just try and ride at a pace i can cope with otherwise i will hit the wall after 25 miles :)
    Trek Madone 5.9 2012
    Cboardman Team 2011
  • Defyand
    Defyand Posts: 49
    50 is good going I enjoyed my first fifty last weekend looking forward to another this weekend!
  • dav3e
    dav3e Posts: 46
    How long have you guys been riding before attempting 50 miles ?
  • waky
    waky Posts: 11
    dav3e wrote:

i would like to know also, i know everyone's different but roughly... get my first road bike this weekend :)
  • waky wrote:
    dav3e wrote:

i would like to know also, i know everyone's different but roughly... get my first road bike this weekend :)

I've been riding for 9-10 months initially started just for weight loss and trying to get fit I was over 21 stone when I started,I used to struggle to do 5 miles :oops: but I kept going and now do a daily 21.5 mile ride and more on the weekends kids and wife allowing :D
    Trek Madone 5.9 2012
    Cboardman Team 2011
  • Grats on the 50 plan to do my first 50 very soon.
  • dav3e
    dav3e Posts: 46
    I've only been riding a couple of months, but have decent fitness levels from running, and I have a couple of weeks off at the end of June, so will be looking to get to the fifty mark all being well.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Nice one on the 50. I was riding about 3 months doing 30's and 40's before I did my first 50, except I got a bit lost and ended up doing 62! I've done a few 50's now, and the 30 and 40 rides seem like a doddle.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    50 miles is the correct distance to ride.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Herbsman wrote:
    50 miles is the correct distance to ride.
    Surely you mean 80K :wink:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    dav3e wrote:

I did my first after just under 3 months riding. Have done another 2 since already (including the Manchester Cycle today). Did a 62 the other day! The first 50 destroyed me but now it's not too bad at all. Doing the longer rides also helped me knock 2 minutes of my 10 mile TT time last week :D