Wiggins : Tour form too soon...again?

cycling5280
cycling5280 Posts: 279
edited June 2012 in Pro race
What do you guys think?

Wiggins states that he expects Evans and Andy Schleck to be two of his most likely rivals in the Tour, and that they are potential winners of the Dauphiné too. However he acknowledges that they may use the event as preparation and to build form rather than as a goal in itself.

As an example, he pointed out that Evans struggled in last year’s race, grinding out a second place overall despite that, but then hit the form of his life in the Tour itself.

In contrast, Wiggins gives the impression that he is already close to top form, and that he is concerned with maintaining rather than building. “The Tour de France is almost upon us now. I'm poised for it. The work is done and there's not much more I can do because it's so close,” he said. “It's a time when you need to be careful: the temptation can be to keep trying to squeeze out a little more, but it's the end of a long process. It's been like coiling a spring and I'm raring to go now.”

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12003 ... z1wY3vEifX

Comments

• gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    Barring some kind of bad luck (accident / illness / freak weather event causing split in the peloton) I'd expect him to win the Dauphine and be on the podium in the Tour
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    Puzzled by your use of "again". He hit top form at the Dauphine last year and the early stages of the Tour suggested he was still going strong at the Tour rather than hitting form too soon. It was an unfortunate crash that ended his hopes. Had it not been for that I think he would have been challenging for the podium. There was a recent article on his preparation and Sky have a theory that you can avoid peaks and troughs with the right training and a limited race programme. The article has been posted a couple of times before but can be found here http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/23/bradley-wiggins-tour-de-france
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Wiggins can win the Dauphine even if he's only at 90% of his best form as there is so much TTing and not so many big summit finishes. What you also have to remember is that very few of the big name riders will be at their peak for the Dauphine, so even if your not at your peak then you can still win as it's likely your opposition isn't either.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Will be on the podium or a win barring a crash. He looked awesome last year he just needs to protect himself a bit more, but Sky look to have learnt lessons, Mr Wiggins rides in the shelter of his team more now and Sky themselves try to position toward the front of the peloton more to avoid accidents. Last year was just bad positioning.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Everyone at the Dauphine is riding it as prep. for the Tour, save one or two n00bs. (neophytes).

The only riders who start caring how they end up are the riders who find themselves near the top of GC after the first big mountain day.

People asked why Wiggins went flatout in the final TT to go for the win, rather then rein it in with an eye on the Tour.

He said, quite rightly, that (I'm paraphrasing) an extra 30mins flat out 2 weeks before the Tour isn't going to make a blind bit of difference and wins him the race.

If your 90% is better than your rival's 90% - then you've in with a shot.

For sure, some riders get their timing wrong, but I don't think a win the Dauphine immediately rules you out of a Tour win.

I'd be more interested in riders who show a significant and very noticeable performance increase from the Dauphine to the Tour.

Last rider who did that ended up being banned.
  • A win certainly doesn't rule you out, being close but not quite there probably means your about right for the Tour as well. You just don't want to be right of the pace. If the first part of the season is anything to go by his not going to hold back if he can win this he will much like last year.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    I'd just like to point out that after the Tour, not only will Wiggins be doing the whole open topped double-decker thing waving his yellow jumper to the pre-Olympic London crowds: he will also be the No.1 ranked rider in the World.

It looks like it could be a 2-way ding-dong: J-Rod Vs Wiggo to the end of season.
    Yet another reason for Joaquin not to get spanked by Bertie at the Vuelta.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    People asked why Wiggins went flatout in the final TT to go for the win, rather then rein it in with an eye on the Tour.

He said, quite rightly, that (I'm paraphrasing) an extra 30mins flat out 2 weeks before the Tour isn't going to make a blind bit of difference and wins him the race.

I've read that many riders like to go more or less full-bore in the Dauphine/Swiss TT just to size up their form as, unlike the other stages, it's racing on their terms.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:

I've read that many riders like to go more or less full-bore in the Dauphine/Swiss TT just to size up their form as, unlike the other stages, it's racing on their terms.

Makes sense.

I imagine that's as much to do with the data they get from it as much else.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ah yes
    http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/200 ... elibere073

It turned out well at the tour
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Not sure why the word "again' is used in the original post. As said here, Brad was bang on form last year but for the crash.

I'm not sure why anyone would even doubt Wiggins' form until we've seen his Dauphine ride. He's been bang on track all year. The Sky team have proved they can taper their riders form, pretty much to perfection. The Dauphine is gonna be a really interesting race.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Not sure why the word "again' is used in the original post. As said here, Brad was bang on form last year but for the crash.

I'm not sure why anyone would even doubt Wiggins' form until we've seen his Dauphine ride. He's been bang on track all year. The Sky team have proved they can taper their riders form, pretty much to perfection. The Dauphine is gonna be a really interesting race.

Erm EBH (or any sky riders for that matter) didn't turn up at any of the classics so not sure about that.

that said Wiggins has been very good
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    josame wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:

Erm EBH (or any sky riders for that matter) didn't turn up at any of the classics so not sure about that.

that said Wiggins has been very good

Not sure i agree with that... EBH and more so Flecha were in the mix quite a bit in the early classics and Stannard and Bernie were strong domestiques. If Edvald just didn't have it, doesn't mean Sky didn't get the best they could out of him. Anyway, as you say Wiggins is looking great this year and here's hoping he keeps that form running...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    Nordhaug was in pretty good form at the hilly classics. Probably one of the surprise performances. It's much harder to get results in the Classics.