Samsung Galaxy S2 (Andriod 2.2)

jndb72
jndb72 Posts: 629
edited July 2012 in The hub
Afternoon,

Does anyone have an opinion on these? Had mine about 18 months now and I'm thinking of swapping it for an IPhone (only problem is I hate all things Apple, but there dosen't seem to be too many alternatives out there)

Problems I've found so far.

1. It's slowwwww, very slow when connecting to and browsing the internet, even when I'm sat right next to the router.
Trying to use apps like FaceBook is a big no-no.
2. Whenever I leave the house and then return, it forgets the WiFi connection, and I have to re-connect (instead of it doing it automatically).
3. Set the alarm. Confirm the alarm is set. Go to bed (have some fun with....oops forgot this is not CC). Alarm fails to go off in the morning.
4.Delete all alarms. Alarm goes off in the morning

There are probably more issues I've found, these are just the ones that spring to mind.

I downloaded and run the Quadrant Standard app which gives me a benchmark score of 1246 - which apparently is crap.

So....anyone know how a speed this thing up. Or do I get an IPhone. Or maybe go back to a cheap payg and just send texts :D (oh the good old days)

Cheers
2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's

Comments

• Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    Try upgrading your firmware; im on android 2.3.4 and have none of those issues. I also have a galaxy s1 on 2.3.4 and that runs fine too - far better than the shipped version did.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Agree with the above. None of those problems with mine (on Android 4.x now, but didn't have problems earlier either). That Quadrant app gives me a score of 3841, but I didn't really check what that breaks down into.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I've got one of these, on Android 4.0.3. It's great. None of the issues you mention. Try updating via Kies.
  • jndb72
    Upgrading via Kies now.

Be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Sounds like you've got a load of useless apps on there etc? have you rooted it, and got a custom rom or anything? The SGSII should be very stable, regardless of the firmware...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Sounds like you've got a load of useless apps on there etc? have you rooted it, and got a custom rom or anything? The SGSII should be very stable, regardless of the firmware...
    When the hell did phones get so complicated?
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Ive got an xperia x8 for sale if yer interested?? Screens too small for, I thought id try it after my iPhone 3GS, Used it for a week, and now own an iPhone 4s!

Seriously imo you cannot beat the iPhone for its user interface and simplicity. And just jailbreak it to get around the app store
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • YeehaaMcgee
    steelie600 wrote:
    Seriously imo you cannot beat the iPhone for its user interface and simplicity
    :lol:
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    When the hell did phones get so complicated?

Since they started running linux, which is open source?
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • jndb72
    Upgraded to 2.3.6 a week ago and internet browsing seems a lot better.

Haven't been able to test the alarm functionality yet because I've been on holidays. Back in work next week so will test then.

Battery life seem's a bit dodgy. Been cases where the battery shows as half full then 10 minutes later it's dead. No useless apps on there either, removed everything I don't use.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    steelie600 wrote:
    Seriously imo you cannot beat the iPhone for its user interface and simplicity.
    I just got some sick in my mouth.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    Go to settings-about device-software update.
    Galaxy s2 should be on 4.0.4 by now. Also i didnt think the s2 was ever on 2.2?
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I've got an s2 and i have to say its great and frustrating in equal measure. Mine on standby was running the battery down in less that a day, it also freezes on a battery percentage, crashes, reboots at 15% battery then the battery level rises slowly.

Several trips to 02 and upgrade to latest firmware and it still does it, but less regularly. A battery saver prog has helped the battery too.

But I love the phonbe when it is working well and I have a spare battery to combat the battery issues, something that was a pain on my iphone.

I would however suggest if you are considering an upgrade, having played with the s3, it is amazing
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • lugsey2k5
    +1 for the S3.

I have had it for the last week and its superb. On fairly heavy use (its new so playing with it alot) and wifi all day i still easily get a day out of it and 20-30 by 11pm when it gets plugged in over night.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    What does the S3 do that the S2 didn't?
  • lugsey2k5
    In general its a little faster and battery is much better.

The phones specs are much better than the s2 although at the moment this doesn't make alot of difference as both phones will play any app until the software catches up. The main difference are in the UI, s3 has a better layout in my opinion, a super fast camera, very fast and precise GPS compared to s2.

There are no huge differences between the two the s2 is perfectly capable but the s3 is just a little better in every way for me making it worth the extra money.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Faster?
    This is one of those strange things I keep seeing mentioned in phone articles. A particular phone is marked down for not having a multicore processor, for example.
    But... why?
    I'll probably never get it, I'm not a "phone geek".
  • lugsey2k5
    Things just open a little snappier and when running lots of apps in the background it copes alot better.

Most apps at the moment are not really optimised to make best use of the quad core chip but it will be used more in the near future i think and if not it still seems to help keep the phone smooth to use.

Depending on use the s3 is not worth the extra money over the s2 for everyone but i got it for £26 a month on a reasonable contract with everything i need.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    What does the S3 do that the S2 didn't?

1 more thing.

Or maybe its 1.5 x better.
  • How about the phone freezing?
    Mine keep freezing up very often & I always had to force-restart by pulling out the battery. It annoys the hell out of me.
  • lugsey2k5
    Iv never personal had that issue but a friend with the phone has. And update has just been released which might fix this issue.