difference between recon, reba, sid forks

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Is there a vast difference between these forks, assuming they are all the air versions and 100mm travel.

What makes the Sid better than the Reba, and the Reba better than the recon?

Many thanks
Dan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    weight materials.

read the info on Srams web site it is all there.

and some have better valving.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • danlightbulb
    nicklouse wrote:
    read the info on Srams web site it is all there.

I have looked at it, but I don't really know what it all means in the real world.

Take your point on the weight that would be a big factor.

If you were to classify the performance, how much better is the reba over the recon, or the sid over the reba. Eg is it 10% better or 100% better.
  • nicklouse
    what will you be thinking of using them for and which ones?

there are 6 sids,2 rebas. and 5 recons. butI would only cosider the golds.

TK damping is not worth thinking about so MoCo is the base. anything more is "better"

then the rest is up to you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    As far as I know (in basic terms):

Recons are solo air. This means there is a single air chamber, which you use to set sag, and that's it. They're heavier than Reba or SID.

Reba and SID are both dual air. The second chamber is used to fine tune the fork performance.

SID is lighter than Reba. But Reba is still not a heavy fork by any means, its still pretty light.

Nick is right about the damper. MoCo is good, anything more is better.

I have a Reba RL 2012. It's the basic Reba fork, but it's great.
  • nicklouse
    EH_Rob wrote:
    As far as I know (in basic terms):

Recons are solo air. This means there is a single air chamber, which you use to set sag, and that's it. They're heavier than Reba or SID.

Reba and SID are both dual air. The second chamber is used to fine tune the fork performance.

SID is lighter than Reba. But Reba is still not a heavy fork by any means, its still pretty light.

Nick is right about the damper. MoCo is good, anything more is better.

I have a Reba RL 2012. It's the basic Reba fork, but it's great.
    why not read the info?
    recons air or coil
    http://www.sram.com/rockshox/family/recon
    http://www.sram.com/rockshox/family/reba
    http://www.sram.com/rockshox/family/sid
    not realy true they are both used to tune the feel.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    my bad! those website links will be much more helpful than me.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It depends on the year too. For 2012:

SIDS and Reba share the same structure, but SIDS get lighter internals to lessen the weight. Also has more damper options. All are dual air.

Recons are a budget fork range. They come with steel or alloy legs, and steel or alloy steerers. Also available in coil or Solo Air, or with TK damper (lockout) or basic Motion Control (low speed damping). Steel (silver stanchioned versions) do not come with MoCo.
  • bazza333
    bazza333 Posts: 86
    I happen to have all three (but different years). Recon are a bit heavy but are fine for XC, Reba's and SID's both excellent.
    If I was buying a set tomorrow I'd go for the Reba's (and save money) as I'm not good enough to notice the difference with the SID's.
    However having said that it would depend what deal you could get on the day.
  • danlightbulb
    Wow it is complicated all the options! I'm glad I asked the question now. Its for XC trails, red & black routes type difficulty.

Basically I'm looking at either Radon or Cube bikes and the four I'm keeping an eye on have these forks:

Cube Acid has a Rock Shox Recon TK Air, Poploc
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 has a Rock Shox Reba RL, PopLoc
    Cube LTD Pro has a Rock Shox Reba RL, Motion Control, PopLoc
    Radon ZR Team 7.0 has a Rock Shox SID RL PopLoc

I won't stretch to the 7.0 or the LTD Pro unless they come up as deal of the day on bikediscount.de. Another poster here has recently bought the 7.0.

Hence why I was asking about the forks. From the responses so far it sounds like the reba is worth having but maybe not the SID?

Thanks
  • supersonic
    The SID is a Reba with lighter internals and a better damper. SID RL gets adjustable floodgate.
  • danlightbulb
    supersonic wrote:
    SID RL gets adjustable floodgate.

Despite an internet search, I don't know what this means!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You can 'tell' it when locked out when not to.
  • danlightbulb

By talking to it? Wow that's amazing.

"Fork: adjust damping to 10%"
    "Fork: open the floodgate"
    "Fork: get me a beer"
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    By tell I mean there's a knob involved or a 2.5 mm obvious(ly)
  • supersonic
    It's sets the blow off threshold - you can tune it what size bump it unlocks over (then relocks). Is useful as can set the fork up for little movement except when you want it.
  • lexinoo
    lexinoo Posts: 132

By talking to it? Wow that's amazing.

"Fork: adjust damping to 10%"
    "Fork: open the floodgate"
    "Fork: get me a beer"
    :lol: LOL,love that answer mate!i aint got a friggin clue what they're talking about either. :lol:
  • supersonic
    Nobody tried the Tech FAQ?

viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12802014

I can't make it any easier than that.
  • EH_Rob wrote:
    my bad! those website links will be much more helpful than me.

Not really. I found your explanation much more helpful - thanks.
  • Unreal1066
    Unreal1066 Posts: 10
    I've Just bought some Recon silver from 2011. I would take issue at the idea they were budget forks. They are relitvely light over the standard Rockshox Dart forks I had. The best feature is the remote lockout, a more useful feature than I thought it would be. I like my forks stiffly sprung anyway so being able to add air is another great feature.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Unreal1066 wrote:
    I've Just bought some Recon silver from 2011. I would take issue at the idea they were budget forks.
    Good for you. But they are budget forks.