Tubulars....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone commuting on tubs?

I raced on Tubs allot, but never commuted on them for the simple reason of puncture repair. However, I am thinking about a new rear wheel and have been offered a nice carbon job that is tub only.....so, is anyone bravely commuting on tubs?

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    God no... Would only use tubs if I raced, too much hassle to fix punctures. Having said that, when I was cycling in my teens, my dad made me up a bike with tubs... I had no idea what tubs were in those days, he just told me to try to avoid glass and gravel as punctures would be a pain to fix... So I did and never had any problems...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i dont even race on tubs, but then i ride to races and stuff rather than drive
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Used to. Was running cheap conti tubs that were about a tenner a shot. I'd get about a puncture a year commuting in london.

The wheels were mavic gp4s from the late eighties. I only went to clinchers when a ped stepped off the kerb into me and put his foot through the front wheel. That was awesome
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    JonGinge wrote:
    Used to. Was running cheap conti tubs that were about a tenner a shot. I'd get about a puncture a year commuting in london.

The wheels were mavic gp4s from the late eighties. I only went to clinchers when a ped stepped off the kerb into me and put his foot through the front wheel. That was awesome

Holy Sh*te!!!

Did it shear his foot off?
  • jonginge
    I wish. Low speed filtering crash. He looked right through me and then stepped into me. I was only going about 5mph but went down like a sack of spuds. He was fine, the wheel less so.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Bladed spokes next time, eh?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I used them for TTing for a while - never again! Lovely to ride on, but every puncture meant I could write off most of an evening taking the old tyre off and gluing a new one on. After that I had to send the old one off to get fixed (best part of £15 a pop). The last straw was puncturing both tubs in the same race at Blenheim Palace, and having to do the next 3 races on my commuting wheels because I'd run out of unpunctured tubs and didn't have time to order/fit new ones; after that I switched to clinchers...

I might use them if I was into hill climbing (short courses, and more focus on weight saving), but with my build that's never going to happen. Might consider them for Cross, but I don't take that seriously enough...

Anyone want to buy a HED disc and/or PX 82 with almost brand new Vittoria Corsas Evo CXs?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jonginge
    @TGOTB tub tape. Works a treat, never had a problem with it and only takes 10mins to fit. I only used glue on my Reynolds as I was taking them for the marmotte and worried a bit more about braking heating the rims.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JonGinge wrote:
    I wish. Low speed filtering crash. He looked right through me and then stepped into me. I was only going about 5mph but went down like a sack of spuds. He was fine, the wheel less so.

that reminders me this morning a small bird attempted to pass through my front wheel as I was descending at 35mph lets just say it's recoiling limp body did not bode well for its future :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.