ride around Wales

T.C.
T.C. Posts: 495
edited July 2012 in Tour & expedition
i'm planning a ride around Wales unsupported -but i plan to stay witht friends along the way - i intend to travel light and send fresh clothes to them.
i'm unsure of certain routes my plan is
day 1. Porthmadog - Wrexham
2. Wrexham to Hay- on- Wye or thereabouts - i'm looking at Wrexham- Overton - Gobowen -A495-A490 to Welshpool - could possibly take some B roads here(avoid the A483) - Welshpool - Churchstoke -A488 to Knighton - B road to kington - any advice?
3. hay to Tonypandy via Abergavenny( avoid the A465 here)
4. Tonypandy to St Clears could be tricky - avoid the A48 and the A40
5. head for home might go coast or inland mightstay in Aber or mach
i'm in no rush would have all day
any advice tips appreciated cheers T.C.

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I rode the Lôn Las Cymru a couple of years ago - a route that takes in quite a few of the towns you mention - and it was stunning. I did the whole length, from Chepstow to Holyhead (251 miles), in five very leisurely days. I stayed in B&Bs and carried only a handlebar bag and a Carradice Super-C saddlebag with Bagman holder. If you're not camping you really can travel light and I don't think you would need to go to the trouble of posting clothes - do laundries if you really had to, but otherwise just rinse things out and leave 'em to dry by morning.

Bring wet weather gear.

The Lôn Las Cymru maps are available from Sustrans or bike shops. As with all Sustrans routes use your judgement and improvise as and where required - some stretches they route riders miles out of their way just to be able to claim a higher percentage of the route is 'traffic free' when it would be simpler, sometimes even prettier, to just stick to the regular road.

Wales is great for cycling - if somewhat hilly. Should be a great trip.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    cheers for that , i'll ave a look at sustrans
  • pompy
    pompy Posts: 127
    I agree with HD, no need to post stuff on, I did LEJOG last year unsupported and only took 1 pair of lightweight trousers and 2 t shirts for evenings and just hand washed my cycling kit each night. Carried everything in a 11 litre rack bag (4 kilos in total). I am also thinking of dong a tour round Wales next month over 4 days staying in Aber and Conwy!
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I'm planning on doing something similar this summer, so will have to keep an eye on this thread! :) The road running south of Hay towards Llanthony/Abergavenny is beautiful on a good day.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Welshpool - Churchstoke -A488 to Knighton - B road to kington - any advice?

Yes, my local advice would be :

Try Welshpool > Leighton > Forden via B roads, then B4385 road thro` to Montgomery, nice town, rolling road, then continue B4385 road to Bishops Castle.

At which point you can either:

Take A road to Clun and on to Knighton, whence can take B road to Presteigne and onto Kington. Road to Clun / Knighton is VERY hilly (three major climbs in 10 miles ) but quiet

OR

At Bishops Castle take B4385 roads towards Craven Arms / Lydbury North but then `aim off`via Aston on Clun , Clungunford to Leintwardine. At Leintwardine go briefly on A road towards Hereford and then TR 200 yd after leaving village / crossing river bridge on quiet flat A road towards Knighton. In about 2 miles, after a junction with warning signs @ Walford TL to Lingen; follow on this lane all way thro` to reach a B4362 road (about 5 miles), TR to Presteigne and at Presteigne rejoin above route via B 4355 Titley to Kington. Much flatter roads.

To get to Abergaveeny from Kington I suggest; at Kington take country lane to Brilley; go over Brilley Mtn, drop down to wye Valley and TL at A438 road. Go to Clifford Toll Bridge, and take B 4348to Hay; then at Hay go up (400 m , 6 mile climb) over Gospel Pass and descend --with care as narrow, potholed lane---to Llanthony and continue via lanes to Abergavenny.

From there you need another local cyclists input :)
  • i cycled back from the severn bridge to llanelli a few weeks ago on the a48. it was the the most direct route but the section from newport to cardiff was wild,like cycling down a motorway! probably wasn't allowed anyway!