pride before a fall.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Yes, I fell off.

Heading on a downhill towards a light controlled 4 way junction. Light goes green as I approach behind another cyclist, traffic starts to move across the junction - a car stalls or stops on the junction for no seen reason, traffic backs up quickly, time to go down the left methinks, cyclist ahead of me hits his brakes rather than scoot down the left, I am too close to him - bang, hit his back wheel, down I go onto broken glass....

No injuries aside a little claret from my hand and of course my pride being severely pummeled.

My own fault for being too close and not anticipating the braking....The gap I was going for and assumed that the other guy would go for was massive and would have taken us around the traffic. Still, live and learn, some people don't see the route through or are not that confident in their abilities on a bike.

The chap was very kind and asked if I was okay - to which I replied that I was and that it was totally my fault and apologised in a very British way.

I was more gutted about a scratch on the new powdercoat....

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    gtvlusso wrote:

The chap was very kind and asked if I was okay - to which I replied that I was and that it was totally my fault and apologised in a very British way.

PIMS o'clock ?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    bad times at least you are ok

i thought powdercoat was uber tough?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    mudcow007 wrote:
    bad times at least you are ok

i thought powdercoat was uber tough?

Scratch has buffed out with a damp kitchen towel.....it is solid stuff, the old enamel would have chipped to buggery.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    The trouble with this commuting by bike lark (I find) is that you get to be very adept at riding, and your confidence grows, and your ability to judge gaps and spaces and time becomes heightened - and then you hit something because you really didn't think that anyone else could be sooooooo slow or sooooo unable to see that gap and ride through it etc. I find that every month or so I'll have a fairly 'close' one out on the road (usually in Tooting High Street!) and I get to the end of my journey and think "Don't take risks you stupid b*****d!" and then I calm down a bit and take it easier for a while.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Yes, I was a little closer than I wanted to be to a bus and a lorry yesterday
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The effect of gtv hitting the deck in Bristol showed itself in Ludlow at 12:16 today

http://earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquake ... ge=summary
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.