Hello and help :)

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Morning guys - just joined the community and looking a for a little advice to get me going please.

I am new to taking mountain biking quite seriously and thinking of replacing my old, old, old bike on a my work cycle scheme. With this in mind I'm looking to spend a max of £1000.

Can anyone recommend a bike for me please? I'm looking at a hardtail I think as I want to use it for a 10 mile commute and for a bit of fun at weekends on the trails of Dalby.

I've looked at cubes and the whytes but I'm easily confused ;). My theory is get the best frame I can for the money and upgrade some bits as I go along. Is this the best idea?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What scheme, what retailers do you have access to? No point recommending bikes you can't get!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mathematics
    mathematics Posts: 453
    Haha oops - yeah guess that would help :D

Its cyclescheme so have a max of £1000

I have access via local stores to Cubes, Whytes, Specialized, Ghosts, Scotts, Lapierre, Orange, Giant, Trek - but not much else locally - guess could use an online retailer but would prefer to try before I buy.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Frames are all pretty good these days, I'd usually suggest getting the bike with the best fork (the single most expensive item on the bike).

I like the Cubes (not that I ride one) and the LTD pro has a good fork and good drivetrain
    http://www.formbycycles.co.uk/product/1 ... _Bike_2012
    This has a better fork by one or 2 levels than most of the opposition brands (as you've listed) HT's at that price point.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.