First 20K

baldwin471
baldwin471 Posts: 366
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I know 20 km is bugger all to all you pros, but I'm just getting into cycling so don't be too harsh :roll:

So, my first 20 km ride. Well overall it was ok. Here is the strava link - http://app.strava.com/rides/9834656

If you've looked at the link you're probably thinking "That doesn't say 20km" and i'll tell you why.

Basically i paused the workout where it has the finishing point on the map to have a break and a drink (Still pretty poor at climbing and that hill is mighty steep at points). I then started again, went to the top of the hill, back down and back the route i came plus another 2-3km. Unfortunately i forgot to press resume on the app, and i didn't realise anything was wrong till i got home and looked at the screen :cry:

My biggest problem with climbing isn't my cardio, although that could also do with some work, but my quads.

Now, i don't think i have weak leg muscles, i can lift much more weight on quad extension and squats than my friend who also cycles, yet he has no problem with his quads when going uphill. It feels like a really bad muscle fatigue, but it starts about 10-15 seconds into any climb and i'm just not able to push through it. I don't think it is a mental thing, my legs just physically push the pedals until i have a break.

I think the reason for this is because i have very tight hamstrings, always have. My friend (Who is at the end of a two year sports science course) tells me that if you have tight hamstrings, it works against your quadriceps development; as the two are push against each other and the hamstrings aren't giving the quads any room to extend and retract. I've tried many stretches to try and combat the tightness, but on every one i seem to hit this pain barrier after about 3 seconds. It's a very intense pain and i even feel it just bending down to touch my toes. Anyone got any stretches that are fairly light and good for someone with tight hammy's?

Thanks for taking the time to read that aha.

Comments

• The problem is very unlikely to be tight hamstrings. If you've only just got up to 20K then it's most likely to do with muscular endurance. Being able to do 12 squats with a heavy weight isn't all that helpful when trying to climb a long hill.
    Stretch anyway, it's good for you, but cycling up more hills will make you better at cycling up hills. If you're getting too tired to carry on after 15 secs, then why not start slower? Too much power too soon is most likely the problem.
    Also stop using the quad extension jobby. Squats, leg press and deadlifts are all you need for legs.
  • That's quite a steep hill, I'm not surprised you found it difficult. Just make sure you aren't tring to get up there too fast - controlling pace is everything on hills IMO, the temptation is to go too fast at the start and you soon get in to trouble.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    baldwin471 wrote:

My biggest problem with climbing isn't my cardio, although that could also do with some work, but my quads. .

My thoughts are, it is probably mostly to do with your cardiovascular state.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    JGSI wrote:
    baldwin471 wrote:

My biggest problem with climbing isn't my cardio, although that could also do with some work, but my quads. .

Do you think :?: He'd just cycled hard for 20 minutes :?:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    baldwin471 wrote:

Do you think :?: He'd just cycled hard for 20 minutes :?:

Yes, I do think. I am not being flippant and fully aware that the OP is new to cycling - he just needs to keep riding and worrying less and stressing out about climbing 10% hills.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    ^ +1 to this.

I have always had tight hamstrings, and stretching is not always easy/a big help. I can manage hills no problem.

OP - well done, and keep going. You will soon be building on this, and looking for new goals. As others will testify, this cycling lark (regardless of the bike of choice) is really addictive. Don't forget, we all have to start somewhere.

Most importantly, enjoy it! Riding a bike should be enjoyable. Some people think it's all about pain and turning yourself inside out (and riding can be about that if you want) but remember to have fun.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • aspender
    aspender Posts: 96
    It is just a case of getting used to it. Each time out you'll go a little further. Then you'll do it all in one go, then each time out you'll go a little faster.

Here's a shortish but steep hill I tackle:

A year ago:
    http://app.strava.com/rides/783718#17251407

Last week:
    http://app.strava.com/rides/9475265#170277517

First time I tool seven minutes including stopping for 48 seconds. Last time around I did it in 4.09.

Finally, looking at your hill, it is a pretty uninspiring thing to tackle - a main road with cars whizzing past isn't any fun when you are pushing yourself. Wycombe is close enough to the Chilterns that you should be able to find a nicer, quieter challenge to guage yourself on.
  • Honestly mate, it just takes time. Your leg muscles simply aren't used to the very specific demands of hill climbing as of yet and your cardiovascular system isn't used to that particular type of intensity (as opposed to jogging, for example). This comes with time and practice and I guarantee that sooner or later that particular hill will present you with no particular problems. It'll never be pleasant, exactly, but it will be far less of a challenge.