I'm cycling to Paris for my Dad

jtotheb
jtotheb Posts: 8
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
On the 12th April, my Father had a stroke. To see the devastating effect this has had on him has been immensely distressing for my whole family, but given he was such an active man, still working at the age of 76 we have every faith that he will make a full recovery. We always said he would work until he dropped, we just never believed it would actually happen.

So, I'm doing something positive about this tragedy and on the 6th September, I'm cycling from London to Paris to raise money for The Stroke Association. I've recently turned 40 and have spent most of my adult life doing a pretty good job of abusing my body and generally not looking after myself very well! This event has changed my outlook on life completely and made me realise that something like this could happen to any one of us.

So, I've bought myself a road bike, set myself a training programme and aim to follow it to the letter! And, I think I've caught the bug!

I've set myself up a just giving page and given myself a target of £2,000 to raise before the event. I've been really touched by the response I've had from all my family, friends and co-workers - plus patients of my Dad (he is a chiropodist in the Fulham area of London) and I really want to raise as much as I can for this worthwhile cause.

Any donations you could make would be really gratefully received however, your thoughts for my Dad's speedy recovery would be equally welcome.

Thanks for reading

http://www.justgiving.com/jonburchell

Comments

• fmcastro
    fmcastro Posts: 2
    I wish you good luck in your endeavour. I live in Jupiter, Florida USA near the Atlantic and would love to ride London to Paris in four days on my new Raleigh Cadent FT2, straight bar road bike. What kind is your new bike? Let me know if you can, thanks. Fred Castro
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    you're dad'll be fine - them chiropodists...hard as nails. :D

Best of luck on your ride.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    My father suffered a stroke in 2007, 2 weeks after the birth of my daughter. Both my parents life changed that day. My Mum is his full time carer and what she does for him is heroic.
    I completed the London - Paris ride for the Stroke association in 2008 and it was one of the best 4 days of my life. Fantastic company, superb organization and a superb route. You will love every minute of it and I recommend you stay an extra day in Paris if you can. I was able to defer my ticket home till the next day as my wife flew out to meet me at the Arc D'triomphe.
  • jtotheb
    @davelakers, how old is your mum? I can't see there being any way my mum will be able to care for my dad. She's 80 this year.

Glad to hear the positive comments about the ride. I am really looking forward to it.

Any tips you can share for my training?
  • Solarized
    Solarized Posts: 25
    Good luck on your ride.
    I'm doing London to Paris (300 miles in 4 days) in a fortnight raising money for a local hospice that cared for my dad during the last 3 months of his life as he was suffering from a brain tumour.

My training at the moment is averaging about 120-130 miles a week, which I'm told is roughly where I need to be and then tail it off week before the ride.

Chris
  • jtotheb
    I'm currently at about 60 miles a week and building up to about 120 a few weeks before. Sounds like I'm about right.

Enjoying it massively too which helps..