Whyte 905 BB30

gav760
gav760 Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I brought a Whyte 905 a couple of months ago and the bottom bracket has started creaking, it seems that who ever built the bike overtightened the crank.

I cannot find online any reference how to remove the BB, it seems simple enough just to drift out the bearing, but do you need to remove any of the seals firs and if so how?

Any pics or vids you could point me towards with the actual BB30 I have would be appreciated

Regards

Gavin

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    How do you know it was over tightened?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    gav760 wrote:
    I brought a Whyte 905 a couple of months ago and the bottom bracket has started creaking, it seems that who ever built the bike overtightened the crank.

I cannot find online any reference how to remove the BB, it seems simple enough just to drift out the bearing, but do you need to remove any of the seals firs and if so how?

Any pics or vids you could point me towards with the actual BB30 I have would be appreciated

Regards

Gavin
    Looked on Parktools? Try it it has the how to you are looking for.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gav760
    gav760 Posts: 3
    I presume it was overtightened due to the pressure I have to exert to undo it! Once tourqued correctly it takes nothing like the pressure to release!

The Park tool video does not show the bearing in a nylon cup. I`m presuming the nylon cup is removed as part of the assembly.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so you have the press fit BB30 not the BB30?
    Sram cranks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown