Beware of Canyon.

hsiaolc
hsiaolc Posts: 492
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
IF you are thinking of buying a Canyon then beware of their business practice and service.

When I first bought their mountain bike I was already not happy with their customer service. But since I loved their bike therefore I still stood by them and when it came to choosing a road bike I still wanted to go with Canyon.

As you are aware recently I've had a hard time deciding on which bike to get but inside my heart I know I wanted a Canyon because of their bike quality and design. The rest however is not very desired.

To cut the story short I've decided to get their Express bike since I thought it is already set up and made (saw the acture picture of the bike already) so the only thing they have to do is to dismantle the handles bar, take off the wheels, put it in a box and ship it so I made an order Tuesday night and paying by credit card thinking I can get the bike quickly.

I don't know about most of you but every shopping I've made on the internet so far you get a confirmation of order and it is processed immediately. Wiggle or other companies actually even sent out your orders on the first day (not bikes but atleast you get your order confirmation straight away). I waited the whole day and got nothing from Canyon and when I wrote to them and complained I got some really surprising letter that made me feel as if because I've compalined they are going to purposely delay my shipping.

Anyway so after over 24 hours I finally got an order confirmation today which I thought was a bit of a joke.

Looking closely at my invoice they gave me a rough estimate of when they are going to deliver my bike. ON WEEK 24!!! Thats another 2 weeks away!!!! BUT the bike is already assembled and not only that it has cosmetic damage!!

I have ordered bikes from CRC beofer and it came in four working days after you've made your order. Either they are being racist or just purposely doing this or they are just totally inefficient and they can't handle the business.

Either way I felt it is a shame that I love their bikes but their business practice is totally rubbish.

I would like to quote you just one line of what they said on their e-mail
It seems necessary to point out that you are of course under no obligation to buy from Canyon. You are welcome to cancel your order if you are unhappy about the service you are receiving.

I only wanted a order confirmation and seems like they don't want to do business.

I like this quote the best because if feels like after I've complained the shipping time suddenly becomes longer.
But to give you a rough idea bikes ordered from the Express bikes section ship in around ten days at the moment
At the moment? Before I've heard some members from this forum getting their bikes two days after they made their order from the Express section.

If you read some of the e-mails they've wrote to me you will feel prett yupset too.

I think as being a customer I should never be made feel upset for buying something from them. And to delivery something that it is already made to take 14 weeks just to put it in a box and call UPS to ship it can only mean they are doing this purposely.

So if you are buying a bike from Canyon you know you will probably have to put up with this kind of frustration. You have been warned.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    In that case I won't buy the top of the range Aeroad now when I win the lottery. Thanks for the heads up.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Seems like they have lots of orders so they are very busy. Hence the slow reply and the longer delivery time than you thought.

Maybe you should not have bought such a popular brand. I am sure there is some odd brand that can get you a bike by the end of next week.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Not good, I hope you get this sorted one way or another.

This is why I'd always buy a bike from a shop and not online.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • hsiaolc
    nicklouse wrote:
    Seems like they have lots of orders so they are very busy. Hence the slow reply and the longer delivery time than you thought.

Maybe you should not have bought such a popular brand. I am sure there is some odd brand that can get you a bike by the end of next week.

But it is their Express bike section. Other bikes tells you which week they are ready and then to be shipped. I doubt that. Even then their e-mail didn't really want peoples business. This is not the first time I bought from them and I felt that. First time I felt the same but because I paid by chaps I didn't expect an order comfirmation till they have recieve the money. I had to e-mail them as well when they changed the Avaliablity of my bike to immdiately then I requested why my bike is not yet shipped. Guess what? After I told them that then I got a shipping notice.
    Besides that I've read from other memembers who have bought from their Express section they got their bikes quickly.

But either way I don't feel the buying experience to be desired. I am frustrated because I want their bike so I have to put up with this and I feel stupid for it.
  • hsiaolc
    nicklouse wrote:

I am not even aming for this week. I am aiming for next week.

Are you defending their bussiness practice? There are a lot of things you didn't hear and I didn't wish to write down.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Then how can we respond accordingly?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • hsiaolc
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Then how can we respond accordingly?

I wasn't really looking for a reponse. I was sharing my experience to fellow members so they are warned to what to expect.

I didn't want to write everything down because I didn't want to be petty or be thought of that way by writing everything that I am unhappy about that I think it is little but adds to the bad experience.

My main points have been pointed out and if members are warned and they get into the same situation as me then they can't come back and say no one warned them about it.

You would think that a company that focus so much on presentation and so focused on their bikes they would also be very professional about their bussiness practice? It is supposedly expected but unforutunately not met.

And I am still buying from them because I love their bikes so much. What else should I add?
  • OfficerDigby
    OfficerDigby Posts: 110
    Hi you've been unlucky.

Some of the upsetting interactions are culture clash IMO.
  • hsiaolc
    Hi you've been unlucky.

Some of the upsetting interactions are culture clash IMO.

Unlucky Twice? I don't think so.

First time I let it go because I thought maybe one off but second time? hmmm You have to wonder.
  • hsiaolc
    Actually I can tell you one of the telephone conversations. The person I am not going to name names but we all know who he is from Canyon.
    On the phone he didn't know it was me and I asked for advice regarding delivery time for road bikes on a few of their models. Some model goes to week 34 or more and then he adviced one from week 24 and said thats pretty fast. But he said the fastest way is to get the bike from their Express bike Section and I can get it straight away.

NOW? I have to wait to week 24 for buying something from the Express Section? When other bikes that you have to wait till week 24 is going to be delivered the same time as mine?! Come on. I might as well order a new one then for week 24.

OH and my phone is recordered 24/7 so I can proof it.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Speed King Lives!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Can't see that they would deliberately make you wait two weeks for a bike that was ready for delivery.

But if the end product meets your desires, is it not worth waiting for?

And where does the racist element come into it? Just curious.
  • hsiaolc
    You sure? because in on the phone they say immediately avalable and for delivery. Then on the e-mail after I complained that AT the Moment the delivery is 10 days.
    On the invoice is 2 weeks over 10 days.

What do you think?

The racist thing came from the feeling I had over the phone.

I tried to just by pass the Canyon UK all together so I made long distant phone call to Germany just wanting an update on my order to make sure my order is processed and my card is processed. They would just say they can't help me but refer me back to Canyon UK.
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Invoices are checked manually as people ordering with race licenses get approved discounts. Express bikes are already built, but people are ordering all the time. If you look in the outlet section, the description of the bike is listed as ex-demo, cosmetic damage, signs of wear and tear etc.

3 orders with Canyon since August, and I'm absolutely delighted. Fantastic customer service, communication, and a bike which was expected in 4 weeks only to arrive within 5 days.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Just my thoughts.. but when you phone a san anonymous prospective customer they are MORE LIKELY TO SAY that they are available for immediate delivery whether this is true or not, to get you to place an order.

Maybe the phone call was lies and the email the truth?
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Is this like one of those beware of Wiggle threads
  • hsiaolc
    Furrag wrote:
    Invoices are checked manually as people ordering with race licenses get approved discounts. Express bikes are already built, but people are ordering all the time. If you look in the outlet section, the description of the bike is listed as ex-demo, cosmetic damage, signs of wear and tear etc.

3 orders with Canyon since August, and I'm absolutely delighted. Fantastic customer service, communication, and a bike which was expected in 4 weeks only to arrive within 5 days.

My initial complaint was about the Ordering Confirmation. If my bike does arrive in 5 days I will be more than delighted and let you guys know.
  • hsiaolc
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Is this like one of those beware of Wiggle threads

I actually like Wiggle. Whats wrong with them? I always get their stuff fast and quickly.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I think you're expecting too much, too quickly, and what on earth would they gain by being racist? ridiculous ....
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    It does look like you have some justification for feeling annoyed and let down by poor customer service.

Racism? Oh dear, not that card!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Can someone summarise what exactly Canyon have done wrong here :?:
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

It's going to take a little longer to deliver a bike than expected.

Oh and they're racist
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Fuss about nothing and a little bad luck.

Canyon, CRC, Evans, Wiggle ...... the list goes on and on of threads on here, thousands of happy customers and the occasional one who expects the world and god help us if something goes wrong, it's life, get on with it.
    They're big companies with a huge customer base, mistakes will happen.
    If you're not happy go to your lbs and spend 20% more for some sort of guarantee and peace of mind.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Agree fuss about nothing.

I've bought two Canyons and both I waited 10 days for shipping when it showed as immediately available. I think this means the bike is in the warehouse.

I got an emailed response as soon as I made the purchase and then another when the bike was ready for shipping with it's tracking number.

I couldn't fault the service I received.

Unfortunately the hanger broke on my AL when building and this was sorted very quickly and without fuss by Canyon UK.

Anyway well worth the wait as the product is amazing.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    10 days to get a bike ? Wheres the drama ?

Sheesh - in the olden days anything you bought by mail order would say "allow 28 days for delivery".

I think you've been spoiled - I mean its only a bike - its not like its a kidney or your next dose of insulin ?
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    hsiaolc wrote:
    OH and my phone is recordered 24/7 so I can proof it.

Under RIPA you can record for your own use, but if you are going to disclose it to 3rd parties I believe you have to inform the individual you are recording and gain their consent... by using it, you could actually find the recording being used against you...

Oh, just a small point. I think you'll find the correct word you are searching for is 'prove', you used the noun, not the verb :P
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

It's going to take a little longer to deliver a bike than expected.

Oh and they're racist

:lol:

I had to wait months for my Cento Uno frameset - don't think you have much to complain about really. If you wanted a big automated corporate experience, by a Specialized.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    I can't fathom what is going on here! A tantrum maybe? I think the lesson to learn for anyone contemplating a Canyon bike is to ascertain accurate delivery time scales before parting with the cash. A bit of expectation management perhaps.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Slack wrote:
    I can't fathom what is going on here! A tantrum maybe? I think the lesson to learn for anyone contemplating a Canyon bike is to ascertain accurate delivery time scales before parting with the cash. A bit of expectation management perhaps.

Spot on. Obviously excited at the prospect of a new bike and frustrated not to receive it pronto, but perhaps an overreaction to the issue.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    You sound like a bit of a bellend. If you werent happy with them after the purchase of your mountain bike then you shouldn't have bothered with them a second time, you knew exactly what you were entering into.

You knew what their business practice and service was like, why bother with them again if you arent happy with it?

Basically you're an idiot.

And then you accuse them of being racist, brilliant!
This discussion has been closed.