Fork Noise

jt_intheuk
jt_intheuk Posts: 146
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just wondering if it is normal for my fork to sound like a snorting hissing dog when compressing and releasing them while riding? They are the standard Rockshox Tora XC 100 that came with my 2010 Genesis Core 20.
I've got Soul.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Has it changed? If not, they are fine it's oil moving around.
  • jt_intheuk
    No, always been like that.
    I've got Soul.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Oil moving, if they've always been like that and work...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    I wanted to ask this as mine do it, my friends fox floats don't though.
    Papa? Nicole
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    mintedox wrote:

If the rebound isn't dialled in, they can make no noise, but the squelching sort of noise is the rebound working in most cases.
  • jt_intheuk
    Can anyone tell me where to find a service / maintenance manual for these forks? I recall searching a while back but did not find any for this specific fork?
    I've got Soul.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    jt_intheuk wrote:
    Can anyone tell me where to find a service / maintenance manual for these forks? I recall searching a while back but did not find any for this specific fork?

Theyll be on the sram website, rockshox section, in the service centre. Have a look in the stickies up above for a link.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    mintedox wrote:
    Different damping systems make different noises. Fox Float forks are fairly quiet, but do make a squelchy sound.
    The best sound ever was the older Marzocchi open bath dampers - just hearing that noise will bring a melancholic tear to the eye of any old mountain biker :lol:

If the noise has got much louder, then yes, check it out, but otherwise, it's fine.
  • jt_intheuk
    Managed to find some info for the Tora XC off the SRAM web site. Will attempt a fork service some time in the future. They look pretty informative.
    Any other useful tips from the more experienced forumites?
    I've got Soul.