Bike options, advice appreciated...

2»

Comments

• mikkybgs
    mikkybgs Posts: 78
    Yes, I have the RR 8.1. I ride mainly paths, trails, basic trail centre (Sherwood Pines) stuff, nothing overly technical yet.

After exchanging PM's with MonkFunk, I was within seconds of ordering a 25 degree stem when my internet went down!

One of the (many) things that I am pleased about with the RR is my new found ability to absolutely whizz up hills, which is no doubt down to the bike itself but could also be due in some part to the forward riding position, so I was a bit uneasy about changing that tbh. It's interesting what you say about the 25 as my initial thoughts were that it could be too high for my liking and I did consider the 17.

Please report back on how you find the 17 degree stem as I'll hold off making my decision until I've read what you think. I know I shouldn't really make a judgement based on someone else's but I'm interested to hear how you find it and if, after all that, you are happier with the new riding position.

No problem, happy to give it a test for you. I'm also planning on posting pictures up when I have the stem on along with a couple of other upgrades I have made.

All in all I am extremely happy with the purchase of the bike. I was weary about not getting a 'branded' bike at first but the RR completely surpasses anything else with a £500 price tag based on components alone. And the pictures on the Decathlon website don't really do it justice, it's actually a very attractive bike too. After I have made my few tweaks it'll be perfect for my needs.

With regards to the stem I felt the one fitted had me too streched out for general trails, but I took the bike to some much more aggressive steap technical tracks and the low feeling that you had made me feel really in control, so getting the new stem is a bit of a compromise. As soon as I fitted the 25 degree one I knew though that while the riding position was greatly improved, I felt too far from the forks and felt I had lost some of the control. Like I say, hoping the 17 will give the best of both worlds - or perhaps this is just a sacrifice you need to make as a biker, and you can't have both.

It's funny you mentioning you find you can whizz up hills becuase I have found the opposite. If I attack a steep loose rocky track the back wheel tends to skid, even when I'm sitting on the saddle with my weight on the back wheel. I'm not the heaviest of guys but I did think it may have something to do with the grip on the tyres. Or indeed I was too streched out to reach the handle bars. Perhaps the newer upright position will remedy this also?

Anyway, it seems this time, for once, a dodgy internet connection has saved you some hassle.........
  • mikkybgs wrote:
    No problem, happy to give it a test for you. I'm also planning on posting pictures up when I have the stem on along with a couple of other upgrades I have made.

Nice one, cheers.
    mikkybgs wrote:
    It's funny you mentioning you find you can whizz up hills becuase I have found the opposite. If I attack a steep loose rocky track the back wheel tends to skid, even when I'm sitting on the saddle with my weight on the back wheel. I'm not the heaviest of guys but I did think it may have something to do with the grip on the tyres. Or indeed I was too streched out to reach the handle bars. Perhaps the newer upright position will remedy this also?

Have you still got the crappy BTwin own brand tyres on? I replaced mine with some Schwalbe Land Cruisers, mainly because of the mixed trail and road riding I was expecting to do and while I haven't been throwing myself off cliff edges or trying to ride up them, they've been remarkably good on the tracks and trails I have been on. I will probably replace them nearer the winter with a pair of Maxxis Ignitor XC or Advantage XC or similar.
  • Have you managed to get around to testing your 17 degree stem yet Mikkybgs? I went and ordered one, just waiting for it to arrive. Just wondered how you got on with yours?
  • mikkybgs
    Have you managed to get around to testing your 17 degree stem yet Mikkybgs? I went and ordered one, just waiting for it to arrive. Just wondered how you got on with yours?

Hi Bakes,

Only got around to fitting the new stem today. Definitely glad I swapped it. It feels much better than the 25degree rise but has given me the slightly more upright riding position which I was looking for. I took out one of the spacer rings and it feels about right for me. Rode 18k and didn't get the same awkward feeling in my lower back which I had previously, however I'm yet to take it proper off road so not sure how the change will effect that. Riding up hill on the road had a noticable improvement and I definitely feel more 'on top' of the bike. Hopefully this won't mean i'll lose too much control off road. Hoping to try it tomorrow so will report then.

Have you got yours yet? Which one did you end up going for?
  • mikkybgs
    So here she is.

So far I've changed the pedals, grips, and stem.

Planned work: Spray the stem clamp plate black and get new tires.

29elp93.jpg
    30xg9dy.jpg
    ly7na.jpg
    ztf52f.jpg
    15ciz4x.jpg
    312jrbd.jpg
    2zozmz4.jpg
    sq6tt4.jpg
    o5ap15.jpg
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    that looks good, i think the stem suits it as it is to be honest, nice stems, a mate of mine has one on his old marin eastpeak with a whopping 40 degree rise :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • mikkybgs wrote:

I went for the On-One 80mm – 17 degree rise in the end. Will get it fitted at the weekend and try it out for size. Did you find that you had to move your saddle forwards or backwards at all? Your saddle looks very high in the pics. Are you a stork? :lol:
  • your right in those pics it does look nicer than the decathlon pictures
  • mikkybgs
    mikkybgs wrote:

I went for the On-One 80mm – 17 degree rise in the end. Will get it fitted at the weekend and try it out for size. Did you find that you had to move your saddle forwards or backwards at all? Your saddle looks very high in the pics. Are you a stork? :lol:

Nah, I'm only 5 10"! It wasn't 'till I uploaded the pics that I saw I had the saddle that high. I'd been tinkering with the bike and moved it up and out of the way. I have it lower than that when riding!

Not needed to move the seat yet.

Also for your reference, I had removed one of the spacers in the pics but it caused the front end to wobble a bit so I've put it back and it's fine.
  • mikkybgs
    your right in those pics it does look nicer than the decathlon pictures

Cheers mate. They're not doing themselves any favours with those pics.......
  • mikkybgs
    chez_m356 wrote:
    that looks good, i think the stem suits it as it is to be honest, nice stems, a mate of mine has one on his old marin eastpeak with a whopping 40 degree rise :D

Thanks.
    Yeah great stem, I might leave it for a while then - I may learn to love it!
  • mikkybgs
    mikkybgs wrote:

How'd you get on with it Bakes? Given it a test run yet?