New Road Bike - Budget £800

simon.rose
simon.rose Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
I only took up road cycling his time last year with a 2nd hand bike but I've been bitten by the bug and am ready to take the plunge with a new purchase. I'm thinking of buying a new road bike for rides between 20 and 60 miles, 2 or 3 times a week with a view to doing some charity rides or sportives later in the year. I have a budget of £800 max and would really appreciate any advice and recommendations you could give on what I should look for/consider buying. Many thanks.

Comments

• marksimon69
    marksimon69 Posts: 62
    Stop ... Stop .... there's something wrong with the bike !!!
    reality: I'm shagged and I need a break
  • cmt
    cmt Posts: 65
    Boardman Road Team is £799 at Halfords at the moment.

Excellent spec for the money (IMO), and although a lot of people have a dig because its halfords, but most of those are unfounded.
  • PKRAZOR
    PKRAZOR Posts: 89
    As above, the Boardman Road Team is a good bike, dont be put off with Halfords. Also a friend has this, very nice bike and well made

http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/cube- ... 2012/10726

In terms of what to look for, just try and get the most bang for your money, but the best frame should be your first priority, try and get the best geometry for yourself as no amount of recommendations on here can compensate for actually sitting on the bike. Things like gears and wheels you can always upgrade later, but if the frame and fit isn't good for you there will be no point spending extra on upgrades later on.

So try (or sit at least) before you buy is my recommendation! :D
  • grony
    grony Posts: 75
    Yep, can't go wrong with the Boardman Road Team, superb for the money and you'll probably be able to find a voucher for another 10% off. Ignore any brand snobs and their swipes at Halfords.
  • Giant Defy 2