Help requested for a new guy!

JeepoUK
JeepoUK Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker and first time poster. 26 years old and fancied a bike. After a lot of reading I settled on the Carrera Subway Limited Edition from Halfords(I know) and was happy. Just went and collected it today and brought it home.....

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

So yeah, it is NOT the bike I ordered. I paid £199.99 and came away with a Carrera Centos.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab3

So the reason I went with the subway was simple. Limited budget and I wanted a hybrid for road work. Now I have a problem. I don't know the legalities of me being given the wrong bike and where the error lies although it is definitely with them as far as I am concerned. I have got a "better" bike for no more money. However do I bring this to their attention? Do I just flog it and go buy a subway? Or will this bike be OK for what I want? I want to use it to cycle around 15 miles, and tbh on a mountain bike I reckon that is going to be tough? Thoughts? Opinions? I feel like I have stole it......but not quite bad enough to bring it back just yet as the store is closed!:)

Comments

• hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Keep it, say nowt and put some slick-ish tyres on it.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kind of depends whether or not you believe in karma. If you picked it up from the shop, effectively you did steal it.
    Doubt you'd get arrested but I doubt you'd be happy if someone took advantage of a mistake you made.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I'd return it, not only because I have morals, but also the fact that the bike you got would be better with no fork! At that price, I'd say to stay rigid!
  • JeepoUK
    Cheers guys will try and figure it out after work tomorrow.

Incidentally the front brakes on this thing are amazing but the rear ones suck so I will have to figure out how to adjust those if I do keep it. Never had brakes like that before, like I say it has been many years since I have had a bike! :) Any tips? I had a look tonight, and adjusted the tension on the line but still doesn't feel sharp, they kind of just squeal me to a slow stop. I think they need re-centred judging by the manual I found, but that looks like a complicated job!
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    They need to bed in first before anything. After that initial period, if you can hear the rotor rubbing the pads, the calliper needs realigned. Check parktools and the FAQs on here for more help. The best way of doing it (if it works) is loosening the bolts, squeezing the lever, then tightening the bolts while holding the lever.
  • JeepoUK
    Thanks again mate, I will let you guys know how I get on. Now I have finally registered I might become a more common feature round these parts!
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Personally... I'd keep it lol.

Think of it as a tax rebate... Halfords are a big company with big profits... They're just doing their part at making you're life that bit easier and rewarding you because of the government stinging us in taxes etc lol.
  • cooldad
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Personally... I'd keep it lol.

Think of it as a tax rebate... Halfords are a big company with big profits... They're just doing their part at making you're life that bit easier and rewarding you because of the government stinging us in taxes etc lol.
    Excellent idea. Your bank is also a huge company with big profits, so it's perfectly OK to rob it.
    Obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Take it back!!

Not sure how you didn't spot the mistake when you picked it up..?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • waby1234 wrote:
    Take it back!!

Aren't they supplied in boxes from Halfords? If so, there's no reason why he would have noticed. He would have expected to have been given the correct merchandise.
  • cooldad
    No, you can have them delivered but generally they are set up from the shop.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    waby1234 wrote:
    Take it back!!

Aren't they supplied in boxes from Halfords? If so, there's no reason why he would have noticed. He would have expected to have been given the correct merchandise.

Aren't most boxes labelled? So unless it was labelled incorrectly I don't see how you wouldn't notice.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cooldad
    Anyway, he has noticed, so it's a moot point.
    I bet if they'd given him a rubbishy Apollo by mistake he'd be back like a shot, complaining like crazy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools