What can I buy To upgrade my bike

Spighty
Spighty Posts: 90
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am picking up a Giant Yukon 2007 used tomorrow. I have been told by SWMBO that im not allowed a new bike until I have used this one at least for a year.

Now my sneaky plan was to slowly add upgrade bits to it and then maybe swap them out onto the new bike or do a custom build if possible next year.

Can I start with handle bars, stem and headset.

Then Brakes

I know this isnt the ideal way of doing I would rather just buy a bike which is already done but hey.

What order would you suggest? I onl,y want to do some XC and light trails

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride it and then decide.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Who's Swmbo? What he said.
  • Spighty
    Who's Swmbo? What he said.
    SHE WHO MUST BE OBYED

Its all well and good saying ride it and decide but for the price I paid for it Im expecting it to be pants.
  • Chunkers1980
    edited May 2012
    You won't know what's crap until you ride it, better get any bits posted to work ;-)
  • You can start upgrading what ever you can afford.
    You will probably want to cut the weight of the bike down more than anything and get a better fork.
    I would imagine new wheels and fork will be a good start at knocking some weight off.
  • cooldad
    H. Rider Haggard - author of King Solomon's Mines, Allan Quartermain and She (who must be obeyed).

Until you ride it you won't know what is pants. Generally forks make the biggest difference (and are also the most expensive). Contact points - tyres, pedals and grips make quite a difference and are realtively cheap.
    Brakes if the existing ones are really sh1t.
    Unless they are steel or totally the wrong size, bars stems etc don't.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Spighty wrote:
    What order would you suggest? I onl,y want to do some XC and light trails

As it breaks, or you reach the limit of the particular part. No need to upgrade the headset unless its broke. I'd start with finishing kit if your desperate stem/bars/seatpost as they're transferable. Not much need though. Then pedals and tires. Have a look at carboncycles. Wheels with adaptable hubs can be transfered between bikes easily such as hope or superstar.
  • Spighty
    I have to say I like the look of some of that carbon stuff.

I had a feeling forks would be on the upgrade list. I will have to wait for more 250 quid rebas

Has anyone used that carbon company is it good stuff?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get it, check it, find out what's good and what's not, that way you can sort out what's knackered by upgrading at the same time (better value that way), ALWAYS service a used fork, however basic, it's a really cheap way of improving whatever fork you have!
    According to bikepedia it should have a Suntour XCR, the seals on these are pants so taking the fork lowers off (2 minute job) and cleaning out the lowers and cleaning the uppers before rebuilding with a little fresh grease on the bushes will make a world of difference.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Spighty
    Yeah it has that fork on it I know that.

He said it was done in service but I'm happy to do it again. Was planning to do what I can on the mech side at home.

Do I need to buy anything to service the forks?
  • cooldad
    Carboncycles isn't just carbon stuff. They do aluminium and scandium as well, which is mnuch better value. Carbon bars are unnecessary (at your bike level) and carbon stems are pointless.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    ......because some alloy ones are actually lighter.
  • Spighty
    I thought the carbon stuff was good value.

But happy with ali stuff too. Getting weight down is main thing on bike and myself (120kg)
  • cooldad
    I would just ride it, stop buying pies (hard I know) and see what breaks or doesn't do the job then decide.
    Main thing is to have a bit of fun.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools