2013 Dura Ace

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
Om nom nom :D

I've started buying the 6700 Ultegra to go on my forthcoming Enigma build, but the pics (expecially the rear mech) made me, for a moment, consider changing to the 2013 Dura Ace. Then the child with in took over and I decided I couldn't wait.

That said, I suspect that I might have to upgrade to the DA rear mech as soon as it's out :lol:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/shimano-dura-ace-9000-34009/

1337185566375-1qo28z4mmwmk3-670-75.jpg

1337185399934-1d3hnmc92ndn7-670-75.jpg
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    MattC59 wrote:

I've started buying the 6700 Ultegra to go on my forthcoming Enigma build, but the pics (expecially the rear mech) made me, for a moment, consider changing to the 2013 Dura Ace. Then the child with in took over and I decided I couldn't wait.

That said, I suspect that I might have to upgrade to the DA rear mech as soon as it's out :lol:

When you grow up it'll be Campag.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • MattC59
    Aggieboy wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

When you grow up it'll be Campag.

wah wah wah :wink:
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    The chainring options sound very good. Hopefully will become a new standard as it makes alot of sense
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    I have out done you cleat, I got the top 4 posts nah nah nah nah nah...31/05/2012 at 10.01pm for the record.
    (Despite not being grown up, I still have enough sense to ride Campagnolo.)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Dura Ace - just buy it (if you can't afford Red that is ....).

Its lush and lasts forever and if you smash it up you don't care because its only Japanese.

Sell the Ultegra, invest in the D/A - go on, you know it makes sense .......
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Not interested in Di2? Jus interested...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattC59
    edited June 2012
    ddraver wrote:

Not yet, I think it's too clunky looking at the moment, although the 2013 looks pretty slick. I think in a few years it'll be much smaller and tidier............. that's when I'll get my wallet out :lol:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I have out done you cleat, I got the top 4 posts nah nah nah nah nah...31/05/2012 at 10.01pm for the record.
    (Despite not being grown up, I still have enough sense to ride Campagnolo.)

Drat. not only out strava-ed but out forumed too. :cry:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    MattC59 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Not yet, I think it's too clunky looking at the moment, although the 2012 looks pretty slick. I think in a few years it'll be much smaller and tidier............. that's when I'll get my wallet out :lol:

So you haven't seen the 2013 dura ace di2 yet then?

The rear mech on that is a thing of beauty..makes the normal dura ace loom like trash.

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/images/Shimano%20Dura%20Ace%20Di2%209070/Dura-Ace%20Di2%2011.jpg
  • Meh. I'll stick with 7800 until they get rid of the anodisation, that invention of satan. I only wish I had bought in some stock of 7800 groupsets when Salden had them on sale for 700 euros.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Not yet, I think it's too clunky looking at the moment, although the 2012 looks pretty slick. I think in a few years it'll be much smaller and tidier............. that's when I'll get my wallet out :lol:

The rear mech on that is a thing of beauty..makes the normal dura ace loom like trash.

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/images/Shimano%20Dura%20Ace%20Di2%209070/Dura-Ace%20Di2%2011.jpg

My mistake, I meant to write 2013 above. You're right, I think it's lovely, but still a little large for my tastes. Give it a couple more generations, and it'll leek really good !!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Although I'm not sure what the pic in your link is, was it a teaser shot from a while back ? The 2013 Di2 is below:

1337187169913-sq2bo3zhon9t-670-75.jpg
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    ^^^ looks super cool.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    The chainring options sound very good. Hopefully will become a new standard as it makes alot of sense

I don't understand why it needs a new BCD standard though. The range of chainring sizes could all be acheived on a 100mm compact, couldn't they? I think that's the way Campag are doing it.

Rob
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    The rear mech looks FUGLY.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    From where I sit I don't see the front or rear mech. Di2 is just so neat and if it's bling you want the noise the front mech makes - bzzzzzztt - when it changes or self-trims is pretty good. I never see them as it's no longer a requirement to have a quick look occasionally to see what gear it's in, or which way to trim to stop the rubbing from a poorly executed change.

The new stuff looks nice though, so does the Campy equivalent. <plots next bout of spending...>
  • ddraver
    CiB wrote:
    From where I sit I don't see the front or rear mech.

Amen brother...but I think we are the only two who think like this!
    - @ddraver
  • Bluegnu
    Bluegnu Posts: 15
    I think it looks great.

I'm about to buy Ultegra Di so my heart sank a little when I saw this (well, not that I afford DA Di2!) but then read that Ultegra and DA will be interchangeable so there's a nice upgrade path in the future. Get rid of the fugly Ultegra mechs for a start!

Also, I'm wondering if you could switch the shifters between 10 and 11 spd with just a software/firmware tweak.
  • ddraver
    I'm wondering that too...surely they will do that!

But then, they probably won't...
    - @ddraver
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:
    From where I sit I don't see the front or rear mech. Di2 is just so neat and if it's bling you want the noise the front mech makes - bzzzzzztt - when it changes or self-trims is pretty good.

That trim noise is horrible! It's only bling if you think someone dragging their fingernails over a blackboard is bling! I was in Bicielo and a salesman was demo-ing a Pinarello with Di2 and commenting on one lass who bought such a bike and came back with it complaining that it kept making a funny noise - the front mech self trimming :lol: . But in the case of Shimano, the lack of sight whilst riding the bike of the mechs and chainset is indeed a blessing but, unfortunately, you can still see the hoods.........

Besides, it doesn't alter the fact that a bike fitted with Di2 is a moped. It's no longer solely powered by you. Ergo, it is a moped. And nothing anyone can say will alter that incontrovertable fact :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alihisgreat
    Rolf F wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    From where I sit I don't see the front or rear mech. Di2 is just so neat and if it's bling you want the noise the front mech makes - bzzzzzztt - when it changes or self-trims is pretty good.

That trim noise is horrible! It's only bling if you think someone dragging their fingernails over a blackboard is bling! I was in Bicielo and a salesman was demo-ing a Pinarello with Di2 and commenting on one lass who bought such a bike and came back with it complaining that it kept making a funny noise - the front mech self trimming :lol: . But in the case of Shimano, the lack of sight whilst riding the bike of the mechs and chainset is indeed a blessing but, unfortunately, you can still see the hoods.........

Besides, it doesn't alter the fact that a bike fitted with Di2 is a moped. It's no longer solely powered by you. Ergo, it is a moped. And nothing anyone can say will alter that incontrovertable fact :lol:

The Pros have all had engines in their seatposts for years anyway! :lol:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Rolf F wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Well pffffft. The noise is cute, like a little confirmatory note to let you discretely know that the job is done. As for it being it a moped, I blitzed the 20 mile commute this morning in under the hour and can guarantee you that every ounce of speed came from these ere legs. :wink:

Di2 is neat. It'll get nicer looking and maybe a tad smaller but I reckon it's los ballos dos pedros, as our argie chums would say.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    MattC59 wrote:

I don't think you will - I seem to remember reading that they only work as a complete unit - shifters and mechs together. The pull ratio has been changed - the front quite significantly.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Just a tad off topic, does anyone know if the new DA 11 speed will have the same cassette spacing (centre to centre sprocket) as the Campag 11 speed?
    Would give the possibilty of using diferent wheels and 11 speed a bit more enticing.
  • k-dog
    ^ don't think so.

The sprockets are the same thickness as Shimano 10 spd but the inner spacing is narrower. Sounds like another "standard".
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:
    Well pffffft. The noise is cute, like a little confirmatory note to let you discretely know that the job is done. As for it being it a moped, I blitzed the 20 mile commute this morning in under the hour and can guarantee you that every ounce of speed came from these ere legs. :wink:

Sorry, you can't claim that 20mph as unassisted. If you'd had to use your own muscle strength to change gears you might have been slower - nice moped though :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alihisgreat
    k-dog wrote:
    ^ don't think so.

The sprockets are the same thickness as Shimano 10 spd but the inner spacing is narrower. Sounds like another "standard".

No the cassette is slightly wider even though the spacing has been reduced slightly between the sprockets.. you've still got to fit the 11th sprocket in... so the freehub is the same width as the Campag one.
    The most obvious difference to the cassette is clearly that it now features an 11th sprocket. The width of the sprockets is the same as on a 10-speed system, but they are fractionally closer together.

The freehub width has been extended by 1.8mm, so it is now the same as you get with Campagnolo 11-speed which will make things easier for wheel manufacturers (although the spline pattern is still different so you can’t use them interchangeably). It also means that riders with Campag-compatible wheels from manufacturers like Mavic, Zipp and so on can swap the freehub for a Shimano 11-speed one. Shimano have had to redesign their own wheels to bring them into line here.

from Road.cc: http://road.cc/content/news/58457-first-ride-shimano-dura-ace-11-speed
  • k-dog
    I meant that the individual sprockets are the same width - obviously the whole thing is wider with an extra sprocket.

Useful that the overall width is the same though. Bit of a pain to be swapping freehubs though.