Rear deraileur help please.

popeye87
popeye87 Posts: 12
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

Ive had a case of my chain and rear mech having a confrontation resulting in them both becoming twisted. The rear mech is an SRAM x-5. The picture attached shows where the rear mech has twisted, do i need to replace the whole mech or can i source the parts? It was caused as I never adjusted the gear set up even though they were being quite vocal about needing some TLC... Being lazy costs money...

8b42f5e6.jpg
268a13d6.jpg

Is this a suitable replacement?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75318

Also I have the option to buy that as a medium or long cage... what does that mean? (Yes newb)

This is all for my commuter hack so I do not really want to spend a whole lot on fixing the bike, plus moving abroad in 2-3 months so im getting rid of it anyhow. The bike itself is a 2009 Careera Kraken LTD edition and its a 9speed.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Like for like, that's done.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    ^^^^^ WHat he said but get on ebay kidda theres plenty more rear mechs cheaper than CRC

Trust me! I got a xtr rear mech for £25!! Brand new.
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You mepay also need a mech hanger. The bit that the mech attaches to on the frame.

Visable attached to the mech in th first pic.

Cage size read the topic in the FAQs above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • popeye87
    popeye87 Posts: 12
    Thanks for your advice guys, will check ebay, Will any 9 speed rear deraileur fit or would it be best to go for like for like as its less complicated? hahaha

Cheers for the heads up on the rear mech hanger also
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It must be SRAM numbered.

As covered in the FAQs again.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown