which frame ?

acac
acac Posts: 348
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
cant make up my mine merlin melt 3 or orange g4 or kona caldera frame any one got any these frame any help be greatful cheers
play hard ride hard

Comments

• acac
    has any one got the merlin melt 3 how good are they
    play hard ride hard
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd take a look at the Rock Lobster Team SL from Merlin.
  • acac
    i dont like look of Rock Lobster Team SL frames am thinking of going for the melt 3 not sure wheather to go for 17inch or 19 would 17inch be to small am 5foot 8 but i like the look of the g4 the g4 is 6061 merlin is 7005 which is better
    play hard ride hard
  • supersonic
    There is little difference in the materials, it is the way they are made that makes the difference. Which is why the Tig Team is the best frame for this cash, it is lightest and quite comfortable with a bit of give. As for size, you need to look at the top tube length too.

Are you building a bike up form scratch? Also look what parts that you may have that might/might not fit.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    acac wrote:
    the g4 is 6061 merlin is 7005 which is better

I wouldn't say 7005 is any better than 6061 for the application. Different alloys need to be used in different ways - doesn't mean one is any worse or better than the other.

I'd worry more about how the bike rides and fits, more than what it looks like or what perception you have of the alloys used.

Try using punctuation, too. It'll make your posts easier to read.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • acac
    i am building from scratch, what is the g4 like seen it in 17inch for 169 with 10% off in black 2012 .

just seen this for bit more money looks good.
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... 2012_Frame
    play hard ride hard
  • supersonic
    The G4 is not worth that money.

Your link doesn't work.
  • Clank
    acac wrote:
    i am building from scratch, what is the g4 like seen it in 17inch for 169 with 10% off in black 2012 .

just seen this for bit more money looks good.
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... 2012_Frame

I know a few folk who race on those - they talk very highly of them.

One question - what type of riding are you looking to do on it? That may influence the choice a little.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• acac
    just trail riding xc would like forks with 120mm at most
    play hard ride hard
  • Clank
    acac wrote:
    just trail riding xc would like forks with 120mm at most

All your frames so far fill the brief, so that's good.

If you were looking for something particularly racey, On-one are doing selected carbon Whippets for 250 at the moment. Killer value.

• acac
    dont think i afancy carbon be to scared i brake it or damage it
    play hard ride hard
  • supersonic
    No need to be scared - probably tougher than any of those aluminium frames.
  • acac
    supersonic why isnt the g4 worth the money ?
    play hard ride hard
  • Clank
    acac wrote:
    dont think i afancy carbon be to scared i brake it or damage it

Yeah, I know the feeling!

I was exactly the same and I then spent 6 months working with composites for structural applications. My next frame will probably be carbon, as a result. Incredibley tough stuff.

• supersonic
    The G4 is quite basic - almost all school in the way it is made. Not particualrly light, basic, but functional. Not a bad frame at all...

But there are better for the money, like some of the ones you mentioned. And less, like this:

http://www.triplebuttedcycling.co.uk/mt ... -322-p.asp

Very light for the money! And of course that Whippet for just a bit more.
  • acac
    i like one that is just for disc brakes how about the melt 3 in 17 inch
    play hard ride hard
  • supersonic
    I can't tell you if it fits you are not - but it is a good frame for the money.
  • acac
    may be will get merlin melt 3 in black if better then the g4
    play hard ride hard
  • acac
    i did see couple frames that looked the same as the melt 3 beone and couple other bet made in same place
    play hard ride hard
  • supersonic
    Yes, the MALTs and some of the Beones are exactly the same.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Personally I'd go On One (Whippet) or maybe look at the Kinesis range, if buying frame only.

I've had On One (Inbred) & a Merlin (Rock Lobster) and preferred the On One - longer top tube & felt more stable to me. None of the frames mentioned are bad though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • acac
    nearly made my mind up its between melt 3 or Kinesis Maxlight XC3 2012

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/79 ... -2012.html
    and with extra 5% off any one no what the Kinesis Maxlight XC3 2012 are like like to order frame other the weekend thanks
    play hard ride hard
  • acac
    i think the Kinesis Maxlight XC3 2012 abit light to and be that bit faster lol
    play hard ride hard
  • dansdad
    dansdad Posts: 29
    And another idea.........................Cotic Soul :D:D
  • acac
    where would i get that frame from ?
    play hard ride hard
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Somewhere like 18bikes at £480, not light by the other Al frames standards you have here (still the lightest steel hardtail frame around tho).