Duggan's National Championship Power File

cycling5280
cycling5280 Posts: 279
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Check out the link below if you like power and W/kg analysis. Hopefully this guy gets his first shot at the Tour helping Nibali out.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/ ... wer_221907

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Check out the link below if you like power and W/kg analysis. Hopefully this guy gets his first shot at the Tour helping Nibali out.

"managed a personal record of 387 W NP for 10 minutes (6.4 W/kg)."

Not sure that's particularly going to help Nibali, Even Griepel can do not far off that.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • cycling5280
    jibberjim wrote:

"managed a personal record of 387 W NP for 10 minutes (6.4 W/kg)."

Not sure that's particularly going to help Nibali, Even Griepel can do not far off that.

Yes in a sprint finale my guess is Greipel has a 17-21W/kg but in no way in hell could Griepel sustain 6.4 W/kg up a climb to support Nibali.
  • jibberjim
    Yes in a sprint finale my guess is Greipel has a 17-21W/kg but in no way in hell could Griepel sustain 6.4 W/kg up a climb to support Nibali.

http://www.srm.de/index.php/gb/srm-blog ... -srm-daten

"André also had to give it all, averaging 496 watts (6.2 w/kg) for 7:47 minutes for the 4.4 km climb"

So if greipel can do 6.2 for nearly 8 at 20kg's more, 6.4 for 10 is really not that much more. Didn't EBH do over 7 for the first 10 minutes on one of the stages for Sky?
  • cycling5280
    jibberjim wrote:

http://www.srm.de/index.php/gb/srm-blog ... -srm-daten

"André also had to give it all, averaging 496 watts (6.2 w/kg) for 7:47 minutes for the 4.4 km climb"

So if greipel can do 6.2 for nearly 8 at 20kg's more, 6.4 for 10 is really not that much more. Didn't EBH do over 7 for the first 10 minutes on one of the stages for Sky?

Impressive numbers by Greipel. Although the number are close it doesn't give a good representation of how well they actually climb in a racing situation. Greipel would not have made it over the climb with climbers like Tejay van Garderen, Tom Danielson and Timmy Duggan in the U.S. National Championships and it will be the same for the Tour.
  • jibberjim
    Greipel would not have made it over the climb with climbers like Tejay van Garderen, Tom Danielson and Timmy Duggan in the U.S. National Championships and it will be the same for the Tour.

Of course he wouldn't, but 6.4 for 10 minutes, is not going to be much help to the guys who can do close to that for an hour (or more than that for an hour if they're doping) He's very good of course, but he's hardly a super domestique able to do loads for his leader.
  • cycling5280
    jibberjim wrote:
    Greipel would not have made it over the climb with climbers like Tejay van Garderen, Tom Danielson and Timmy Duggan in the U.S. National Championships and it will be the same for the Tour.

Of course he wouldn't, but 6.4 for 10 minutes, is not going to be much help to the guys who can do close to that for an hour (or more than that for an hour if they're doping) He's very good of course, but he's hardly a super domestique able to do loads for his leader.

Well I hope he gets a shot at the Tour. Looking at Liquigas Cannondale's roster he should get a spot given his show of strength at the Tour of California and winning U.S. National Championships. Besides their team leaders Nibali, Basso and Sagan there is no one else that rings a bell as a super domestique on that team. My guess is Cannondale will have a say to get Duggan on the Tour team. Duggan did wear the King of the Mountains jersey for a couple stages at Catalunya this year and took 2nd in a stage in the Dauphine a couple years ago so he's improving. We'll see.
  • slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    jibberjim wrote:

Well I hope he gets a shot at the Tour. Looking at Liquigas Cannondale's roster he should get a spot given his show of strength at the Tour of California and winning U.S. National Championships. Besides their team leaders Nibali, Basso and Sagan there is no one else that rings a bell as a super domestique on that team. My guess is Cannondale will have a say to get Duggan on the Tour team. Duggan did wear the King of the Mountains jersey for a couple stages at Catalunya this year and took 2nd in a stage in the Dauphine a couple years ago so he's improving. We'll see.

Szmyd, Agnoli, Caruso, Capecchi etc. I would suggest looking at their Giro performances and others, they do a pretty good job as domestiques.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    slimreaper wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:

Szmyd, Agnoli, Caruso, Capecchi etc. I would suggest looking at their Giro performances and others, they do a pretty good job as domestiques.

Liquigas were incredibly strong in the Giro, but Basso couldn't/didn't make it count. Don't know how many of those guys will be riding the Tour as well though, they spent a lot of time in the wind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    jibberjim wrote:

Oh man, that's the best one yet...
  • cycling5280
    afx237vi wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:

My bad...I don't even know what a super domestique is versus a domestique but I would argue Duggan is just as qualified as the others. He's a seasoned pro and after what he did for Sagan in Tour of Cali I bet Sagan will push to have him on the team.
  • cycling5280
    slimreaper wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:

Liquigas were incredibly strong in the Giro, but Basso couldn't/didn't make it count. Don't know how many of those guys will be riding the Tour as well though, they spent a lot of time in the wind.

Good point. Makes Duggan's chance slightly better. I'm not saying Duggan is way better than the Giro domestique squad but I also don't think he's a weak link in the chain if they do take him to the Tour.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    If Liquigas were going to pick Duggan, a GT novice, for the Tour to support Nibali, whom he has barely ridden with before, then they would be taking him to the Dauphine to ride alongside Nibbles.

But they aren't. So it's Poland or GP Nobili for Timmy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

My bad...I don't even know what a super domestique is versus a domestique but I would argue Duggan is just as qualified as the others. He's a seasoned pro and after what he did for Sagan in Tour of Cali I bet Sagan will push to have him on the team.

To be fair to you, I did see the two mountain stages of the Tour of California and remember being impressed by Duggan (I guess I noticed him because I'd never really noticed him before, if you know what I mean). With the US title as well he's obviously in good form, so I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he got selected for the TdF.

But Liquigas do have a lot of strength in depth.
  • cycling5280
    RichN95 wrote:
    If Liquigas were going to pick Duggan, a GT novice, for the Tour to support Nibali, whom he has barely ridden with before, then they would be taking him to the Dauphine to ride alongside Nibbles.

But they aren't. So it's Poland or GP Nobili for Timmy.

I agree. Maybe Tour de Swiss??