Why are ribble so slow??

dirtymonkey1985
dirtymonkey1985 Posts: 529
edited June 2012 in Road buying advice
This isn't a whinge but why does it take so long for ribble to get larger orders dispatched?

I ordered a new frame from them on Monday, that was in stock, and it still hasn't been sent out. I also ordered a new front mech on Tuesday after realising that my current one wont fit and that was delivered today. Is it just that the frame is larger so takes longer to package or something?

I was looking forward to the long bank holiday weekend building it all up and riding it :cry:

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Ribble = slow

Wiggle = fast

It's just the way it is. I think they should incorporate it into "the rules"
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Be thankful that you didn't order something from Chain Reaction.......... Ribble slow is still fast compared to CRC at the moment.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    The frame has to be checked and prepared -BB shell faced,barrel adjusters,bottle cage bolts, headset fitted(if ordered) and packaged carefully prior to despatch.
    I have bought frames from Ribble and frames from Evans and Ribble beat Evans hands down on the quality and care they took over packaging of the frame prior to despatch.
    The Evans one was swilling around in an oversized box with inadequate protective wrapping. This was despite the Evans one costing TEN TIMES the price of the Ribble one.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Ribble = slow

Wiggle = fast

It's just the way it is. I think they should incorporate it into "the rules"
    But Wiggle is about 20% more expensive too

I used to buy a lot from Wiggle about 3 or 4 years ago when they were competitive, but now can't remember the last time I did, whereas I regularly buy from Ribble and haven't had any bad experiences (touch wood !)

I'd add Planet-X, PBK, Parkers & Merlin to the 'happy list', and I used to buy a lot from CRC too and would add them as well, but I haven't needed to buy anything from them recently and there's lots of threads on here about people saying they've gone off recently, dunno personally...
  • I agree ribble are excellent everywhere else just the time it takes to get an in stock frame and forks sent out is mental

Also if it's a bb30 then does it still need to be faced?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Haven't had an issue with them.

I ordered some 6700 brakes on Tuesday morning and they arrived today. I also ordered the 6700 brake levers this morning and have had the email saying that they've been dispatched. I expect them tomorrow morning.

Can't fault it really.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • marin_maniac
    marin_maniac Posts: 513
    I've bought a fair bit of stuff recently from CRC, Wiggle and Ribble.

Wiggle has been the fastest and the items have been sent the following day after placing the order with receiving the items the day after them being sent.

Ribble, ordered some socks on Tuesday and received today.

CRC have been the slowest (relatively speaking). Orders have been despatched two days after placing the order and recieving them the day after despatch.

All in all, I dont see what all the fuss is about with some of these retailers going off the boil. CRC is probably a day slower compared to previous orders, but that wouldn't stop me ordering from them.
  • It's not the smaller parts that seem to take long to be sent out. It's the frame taking so long that's frustrating.

Other than that I can't really fault them. As I said the front mech I ordered turned up today after I ordered it on Tuesday.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Wiggle is fast. Ribble well you just have to be paitient.

CRC can be too fast and can be extremly slow.

So far I am mostly impressed with Wiggle. Very consistant.

Maybe CRC has just way too much order. They said in one day during Christmas they have over 30,000 orders. At least thats one of their excuse they gave me but I actaully think I believe them.
  • calmx5
    calmx5 Posts: 230
    If you've seen the size of Ribbles warehouse, you'd understand.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    This isn't a whinge but why does it take so long for ribble to get larger orders dispatched?
    This is a whinge, you liar.

Be patient and accept the facts of life
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Herbsman wrote:
    This is a whinge, you liar.

Be patient and accept the facts of life

What do birds and bees have to do with Ribble's problems with dispatching larger orders, Oh I see now :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I'm considering starting a mail order bike business that fulfills orders in a medium amount of time.
    Thinking of calling it Wibble.
  • le_boss
    le_boss Posts: 183
    MichaelW wrote:
    I'm considering starting a mail order bike business that fulfills orders in a medium amount of time.

But you would confuse people - they would think it was just jonathan ross / roy hodgson saying ribble! :lol:
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    If you want it fast, pay for priority dispatch. Otherwise enjoy your cheap prices and accept that you're in a queue to get processed.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    MichaelW wrote:

Comedy genius!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • mjbennett
    mjbennett Posts: 532
    Try Merlin Cycles - very fast and cheap. Win win.
  • monsterhill
    monsterhill Posts: 106
    If you read there t&c's in the in the descriptions, it states the delivery times.
    I was also in a hurry and didint read them, and i was then politely corrected. I couldnt argue with them as it was clearly there in black and white in front of me :oops: