Gt frame warranty

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Does anyone know the ins and outs of gt's frame warranty?

It wasn't in the manual I got, so no warranty card and I cannot find it on their website!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Just take it to a GT dealer, or your local bike shop and ask them to do what you want.
    Sounds like you need something doing, rather than just knowing the warranty, so you need to speak to these people anyway.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Forget warranty cards. Worthless and I think generally overwritten by your legal rights in the UK at least.

In fact first port of call is the place you bought it from. Your contact is with the retailer.

Also isn't Merida the importers, if not manufacturers of GT frames sold in the UK? Think I contacted them before about my old I-Drive, but I was after parts and they said they didn't supply them direct and had to go through Halfords as they were the official dealer at the time for the I-Drive.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    It's 5 years on GT frames, and CSG are the UK distributor. If you have a problem, go to speak to your bike shop.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    5 years on hardtails, 2 years on FS.

Warranty is in addition to your statutory rights, so once your legal rights expire, the warranty is as written.
  • Anonymous
    Indeed, though I also believe not filling out the warranty card does not allow them to invalidate the warranty. I could be wrong.
  • supersonic
    If they say that is in the terms, then is up to them I am afraid. However with GT the registration does not effect the rights. Can do with others though!
  • Cheers for all the replies!

My bike is going back to gt which is a bit crap cos I just got some new Reba's delivered yesterday!

Got to send the whole thing back which I'm a bit dubious about as there is a lot of expensive kit on there!
  • supersonic
    What is the problem with the bike/frame?
  • The rear triangle is off centre by about a cm. will post some pics.
  • 7310205768_8e1c67ae75.jpg[/url]

7310204510_12bab1bbbf.jpg[/url]

7310206790_4ee97f9bb1.jpg[/url]
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bearings knackered? Looks well ridden from the pics.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    That could be a number of things - wheel not in correctly, bent axle, poor dishing. Before you send it off I'd get a mechanic to look at it. This is why the retailer wants the whole bike back.
  • supersonic
    Plus the measurements indicate about a mm out at the seat tube, pretty normal.
  • The shops had a look at it, don't know what it is.

It is well ridden as well as dirty but only 4 months old.

My only concern is I've spent a lot on it and it's going somewhere I don't know, and will I get it all back.

Cheers for the responses though much appreciated.
  • Anonymous
    4 months old the shop you bought it from should fix it and/or send it to GT for you, covering all costs and if anything goes missing they replace, or give you a new bike.

Probably just needs a strip down and service though or a fix that the shop *should* be able to do themselves.

Assuming it's an I-Drive, dead easy to do the bearings though have to remove the cranks. Though they're big headset style sealed bearings that I found don't wear much. They do get covered in crud though and need cleaning and regreasing.

p.s. fair bit of GT knowledge over here - http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/

and some GT manuals here - http://www.gtbicycles.com/support/manuals - there may not be an exact match but you should be able to find one that's roughly the same. That's what I found. Most of the frames are roughly the same when it comes to servicing. Obviously under warranty the shop should sort it, but gives you an idea of how they're put together and maybe what the problem is, plus some general maintenance advice.
  • Cheers Kenny.

Bikes gone in today, so hopefully will get it back next week, as off at the weekend. But don't hold much hope!