camping at lee valley campsite

dazza3512
dazza3512 Posts: 58
edited June 2012 in Tour & expedition
hi guys,i will be cycling from dover to newcastle,starting next monday,doing the NCN route no 1 all the way,my second night ,i will be using the lee valley caravan and camping site in central london,has any body used this site,is it safe to leave bikes outside etc, /
He travels fastest who travels alone

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Your best bet is probably to check out ukcampsites.co.uk (or something like that) for reviews.

No campsite near a big city is 100 per cent safe so lock your bike if you can - or ask the owners if there is somewhere safer to put it.
  • dazza3512
    dazza3512 Posts: 58
    cheers for that andy,i appriciate that no where is one hundred percent safe,it,s just this site is just up from tower hamlets,and not wanting to sound paranoid,as i have very little experience of london,i just wondered how safe it was to camp there,any pubs to recommend etc
    He travels fastest who travels alone
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I don't think you're being paranoid, and I live fairly close to the Lee Valley on the other side of the river (although I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know there was a campsite there). That said, all you can do is take sensible precautions and then try not to worry.

Hopefully someone who has stayed there will be able to comment but as far as security is concerned it might well be worth ringing the campsite and asking if they have somewhere where you could store your bike overnight.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    probably be ok but its effectively south tottenham... not devoid of crime

I live in hackney
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bwfcmullet
    bwfcmullet Posts: 45
    Hi

There are two in lee valley as far as I know, one next to the athletics centre, where I have stayed, and another on the opposite side of the lake.

The one I stayed at was a few years ago (5?) whilst I was looking for a house before my move down to london. The site is not particularly close to any housing and it felt pretty safe (this from someone who is a bit paranoid about these things)

I Think you would probably be ok leaving a bike out though i would advise obviously to lock it up. The site wardens were friendly enough, so you might be able to ask them if you can leave it somewhere safer if you plan to leave it for any period of time?

The site is next to a cinema complex, but whilst i was there it was pretty empty (was there for about 2 weeks).

The nearest "town" is Ponders End which was about 15mins walk up the main road. It was a bit grim there if i remember rightly but convenient for food and essentials (apologies if anyone lives there and is offended!). You can get a train into central london from there.

Mark