What commuter road/cyclocross bike to buy? (budget £1,000)

2»

Comments

• jimmm
    jimmm Posts: 202
    Thanks for the recommendation - but unfortunately that bike weighs in around 11kg. I am ultimately looking for a bike below 10kg. The reasoning behind this is that the bike will be stored upright and possibly upstairs in my flat - so the lighter the bike - the easier for me! This is another reason I am thinking a road bike would be better - as most around my budget are below the 10kg mark.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Giant defy has defy specific mudguards that fit perfectly.
    Sounds like it is really a road bike that you are after.
    Go for the road bike.
  • loukest
    loukest Posts: 89
    Jimmmmmmm,

I would argue that the weight is not really relevant based on the fact that you're main use for the bike will be commuting. The benefits of disc brakes with the ability to fit mud guards far, far outweight the 1kg that you would save going for a road bike.

I'm also looking for a cx bike at about this price point, having spent a fair amount of time on research etc, the boardman came out at the top of the pile. I completely agree with you and understand your concerns with halfords but buying it from there is about the only downside of the boardman. You dont have to take it back there and as advised earlier in the thread, you always have the option of taking the bike to your LBS.

Tom
  • jimmm
    I see what you're saying loukest. When I first started looking, I was looking for a bike totally suited for my short commute to work - which must only total 20 miles a week. But as I started thinking more, I decided that I want a bike to start taking up road cycling as a hobby, where I will be travelling distances greater than my total weekly commute.

I feel that it would be better to get a bike mostly suited for that (a light road bike). My commute is fully on the road, and my cycling journeys and routes will all be on the road too; so it seems the sensible choice.
  • jimmm
    The two bikes that have caught my eye at my local bike stores (from browsing their websites) are the Giant Defy 1, and the Cannondale CAAD10 105.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-giant-defy-1-12-45849

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cannondale-caad10-105-12-45526

Do any of you have any experience of either. They both score highly in the BikeRadar reviews, and I know the real test will be me test riding them - but would be good to hear some feedback of people who own them and have ridden them for a while. The Giant Defy 1 retails at £999.99 I believe; and as far as I am aware I should be able to pick up the Cannondale CAAD10 105 (2012) model for £1063.99. What looks better value from the specs?

Thanks
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    you can get the caad10 105 for under £1000 at westbrook cycles, last time i checked all sizes were available but only in liquigas colour scheme.

personally though just go with whatever fits you best.
  • jimmm
    Just got back from my LBS. Got fitted to and put a deposit down on:

N126l.png

Pick it up next Saturday morning - so am praying for nice weather! Excited!

So now need to pick up a lock(s), helmet and some race bike compatible mudguards. Any recommendations for these would be much appreciated!
  • jimmm
    One thing that I forgot to ask...the bike was already built, and on display. It hasn't been test ridden outside; only put on the turbo trainer for a fitting/general feel of the bike like they did for me (I'm guessing other people have). Is this expected...or should I expect a newly built bike out of the box when buying a bike over £1,000?
  • jimmm
    Would shoes like these (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_703603_langId_-1_categoryId_228873) be suited to an inexperienced road cyclist and commuter?

I'm guessing as they are SPD they would fit in these pedals http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals/ - which would sut me as they would then give me the option to ride not being clipped in at times if I feel uncomfortable.