Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Following a course - GPS Unit/Phone App

Ka12Ka12 Posts: 216
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

I recently purchased a garmin edge 200 as I wanted a simple unit which I could plan a course and download it to the unit to follow. I am getting frustrated with the course feature on the edge 200 as it auto zooms in and out so is not very easy to follow.

I have an android phone and am wondering wheter it would be better to find an app to use with it or would it be better to get a Bryton Rider 50?

I don't want to spend a fortune so not looking to get an edge 800.

Can anyone recommend any apps or the Bryton Rider 50? I like the look of the Rider 50 but not sure about how good the maps are on it.

Thanks
Sarah

• jonomc4jonomc4 Posts: 891
    The bike hub app allows you to gps navigate - but you cannot upload a gpx file - I know this is being worked on currently as a future update though- other than that there are no free apps out there that you can upload a course to AFAIK.
  • PovesPoves Posts: 23
    Have a look here.
    http://www.viewranger.com/
    Brilliant app and free for Android and Symbian. You can plot a route on your PC save it and then download it onto your phone. I love it!
    Poves wrote:
    Have a look here.
    http://www.viewranger.com/
    Brilliant app and free for Android and Symbian. You can plot a route on your PC save it and then download it onto your phone. I love it!

But does it give turn by turn instructions? This is the main issue - I can just use the map feature of cyclemeter (this app allows the upload of gpx files. The problem is it does not give turn by turn instructions via voice - on a bike it is not handy to be stopping and looking at a screen for directions!
  • slowondefy2slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    jonomc4 wrote:
    on a bike it is not handy to be stopping and looking at a screen for directions!

I use a handlebar mount to follow a trail on an on-screen map. I think the only cycle specific app that does turn-by-turn directions is BikeHub, which personally I find is complete censored on the iPhone. You could look into a car GPS app for turn-by-turn directions, such as CoPilot on iPhone - battery life is very bad with that though and CoPilot is quite expensive.
    I have the bikehub app and navmii - both free but I have only really used the navmii app - going to try out the bikehub app this weekend for proper.

Both of them though are currently limited in that you cannot upload a .gpx or .tcx file - I already have a bike speed/cadence etc. computer on my bike and it fits all my main needs - all I really need to make my life complete if to have the ability to upload a course :(

BTW I have to have the iphone with me - for security - but mainly so my wife can ring me up and nag about how long I have been out on my bike ;)
  • fleehouse2fleehouse2 Posts: 82
    I use an app called Osmand, offline maps, takes gpx files, voice instructions, specific bike mode
  • thegodplatothegodplato Posts: 319
    My concern would be how long you are riding for. I used to use MapMyRide on my phone and the battery drain was awful. So I took the plunge and bought an 800 which, now I've got it setup correctly, I love. I would rather keep my phone as a phone just in case of emergencies. The 800 is supposed to be good of rover 10 hours riding, not sure about the 200. I found that the only way to get turn by turn directions on my 800 was to use BikeRouteToaster but I don't use it with voice commands, the screen changes to show an enlarged view of the turn at a junction when I'm approaching one.
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • Ka12Ka12 Posts: 216
    Thanks for the replies, I have opted to buy a Bryton Rider 50 and am very pleased with it. Paid £144 new and the mapping function is great - I am not to worried about turn by turn directions, just wanted something easy to follow.
  • robcretrorobcretro Posts: 13
    I use a garmin etrex vista cx, download a gtx file as a track . easy to follow when you get used to it.
    can do turn by turn instructions, but only for short distances unless you use main roads.