West Coast of USA

danm99
danm99 Posts: 22
edited June 2012 in Tour & expedition
Got the bug for a new trip....Vancouver to LA all along the west coast. Looks like an amazing route.....anyone have any experience?

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've driven it, many years ago (1980). It is, or was, absolutely stunning for scenery. It is best north of San Francisco, through Oregon and Washington. Traffic might be a bit much in suummer. I'd go spring or autumn, if I were you.
  • oysterkite
    oysterkite Posts: 79
    Did it last year, North outh of Vancouver and down the PCH till Mexican border, amazing ride, here's a link to the blog , happy to help if I can (I'll be doing Vancouver to SF this Sept as well) www.cyclingthepch.blogspot.co.uk :D
  • danm99
    Cheers for the info, great blog oysterkite. Our first plan was to do it in April/May however cant seem to find any info on people doing it that time of year. Are campsites still open then?
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    The PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY or PACIFIC COAST CYCLE ROUTE is a recognised and much raved about cycle route with lots on route guides for it .Try using these names for your web searches..Have the route guide in Paperback.
    jc
  • danm99
    Will do. Nice to hear first experience also.
  • oysterkite
    oysterkite Posts: 79
    If you are camping, you can take advantage of the biker/hiker sites in the national parks, they nearly always have space and are pretty cheap (especially once you hit Oregon where the facilities are also excellent). I started my trip in May and had no problem camping (although sometimes I ended up camping alone in a park that hadnt officially opened) I also used the paperback guide to the pch which has some useful info. Be prepared for just about every weather condition, Washington and Oregon can be very wet but the riding and scenery is second to none. If you are going through southern cal, the camping options become rather limited btw