Rear Drive System Help

adest
adest Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I am having some problems with setting my mtb rear drive system so that it works effectively.

My problem is that gear changes are often laboured or when the bike will change gear but then slip back to the previous gear.

I have been using the barrel adjuster on my rd (6 speed) to increase wire tension. When I do this, gear changes between the smallest sprockets become nice and instant, however, when in the largest sprockets i get the retelling noise that indicates that the chain is rubbing against the next largest sprocket.

Any ideas what I can do to make gear changes smoother across all sprockets.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tim

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would start by changing the inner and outer cables. then have a good read of the infor on Parktools. check the stops are set correctly then adjust the tension.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    how old is the drivetrain ? cables mech... new cables can work magic when the gear gremlins come out to play..
  • adest
    Thanks for the help guys.
    The bike has had light use since it was purchased brand new. Its been sat in the garage for a while since tho.
    I think i will change the wires to the deraillier and see if that helps.
    By 'stops' do you mean the H-L limit screws on the rd?

Thanks, Tim
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes the H and L limit (or stop) screws need setting correctly otherwise they can stop the mech moving enough to engage all gears or allow it to move to far so the chain falls off the cassette!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    adest wrote:
    Thanks for the help guys.
    The bike has had light use since it was purchased brand new. Its been sat in the garage for a while since tho.

Thanks, Tim
    sorry that tells us nothing-
    1 week 1year 10 years?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • adest
    Sorry... its been sat around for approx 2 years since i recently started using it again!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get new cables, inners and outers, follow the Parktools link in Nick's sig, loosen everything off and start from scratch.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    could be that the mech pivots need some lubrication too.