Nuther 2x9 question

vmgscot
vmgscot Posts: 120
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at dropping my big ring as I never use the darn thing anyways. I'm OK with setting FD stop and sorting chainlength, etc but unsure about chainset protection. Seems I have a couple options... either a 'standard' bashring or one of these 'taco' devices perhaps. What should I consider between these options?

Chainset is M970 XTR and frame as ISCG (Yeti 575).
Cheers in advance
vmgscot

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i sure the xtr uses a different bcd than the common 104..

i was looking at going for a xtr and running 2x9 in the end i wen for a truvativ noir crank and dropped the big ring and replaced it with a straitline one..

i cant remember what the bcd is on xtr..

edit a quick look on google tells me that your model m970 has a bcd 104 so in theory you should be able to swap the big ring for a bash as i did on my noir crank... if you lucky you wont even have to change the bolts...
  • vmgscot
    XTR 970 is 104 - the older 960 was some oddball 146
    vmgscot
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't have to have a bashring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    cooldad wrote:
    You don't have to have a bashring.

bashrings are cool and make you go faster

I'd ebay for one, should be able to get one sub £10 if you're lucky or wait a bit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most alloy bash's use standard bolts, the plastic ones (Shimano/E13 supercharger etc) are thicker and need longer bolts to fit them (CRC do the raceface ones for about £5.99), the alloy ones tend to be lighter than the plastic ones.

I use a bash as where I ride we get lots of logs across the track and often need to push the bike over, with a bash I don't have to worry about the chain/ring hitting the log.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Absolutely, and I have one because I am both cool and fast. But as for protection - triples don't have them, and you are more likely to bash a big ring.
    So if you are cool, get one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have bashrings and tacos on four different bikes I think I prefer the tacos for single ring setups but the bashrings are fine if you are just losing the big ring from a triple.

Race Face Light bash ring is a work of art it weighs nothing and feels as though it's made of plastic and ideal for trail riding. As above the plastic rings eg Supercharger are plastic manhole covers designed with bomb-proof protection first and foremost but they do work if you're not too bothered about weight/looks

Also have e-thirteen LG and LS guides they are very nice superb engineering and totally unobtrusive in use. I like them a lot.
  • vmgscot
    Thanks for replies.... I'm not worried about weight... in fact, my 'trail' bikes have gotten heavier and heavier with each new bike I buy (not that often) .... I'm sort of liking the idea of the dual ring chain device with taco.... but we'll see what I can afford.

Thanks again....
    vmgscot
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Simplest chain device for two rings is a blackspire stinger, and a bashguard, and it works like a charm.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have got a stinger & bash guard on my trail bike. Great set up, never drop a chain.