What's the motive then?

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
A couple charged with murdering six of their children after a house fire in Derby.

The only thing I can think of (assuming they're guilty which I don't, only time and a trial will tell) is it may have been some kind of potential insurance scam which went hidiously wrong. Pure speculation on my behalf though. TBH it's totally beyond my comprehension such a thing.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Have read they were after getting a larger council house.

Why you'd pour petrol through the letterbox and then ignite whilst your children were sleeping in the house beggars belief.

Either extremely stupid or very evil.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    this is all guess work you could even have a theory that:

the wife was not wanting to raise the guy's hundreds of kids and did it while he was out at the pub??

the main point the police is probing how they survived.... ( so lets get this straight you were up and fully clothed at 2 am, the house caught fire and you and the wife ran outside leaving the kids....) - explain that then most parents will walk over hot coals for their kids, but no shouting, no bricks through windows to wake them up they stood outside and phoned the fuzz

the moment they went on tv was the first sign of guilt, at no point did they ask to find the killers they just thanked the fire service.

if someone murdered 6 members of your family you would want to kill them....... unless you have 11 left over..... (heartless people if found guilty)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Obviously guilty* as soon as Plod wheeled them out into the press conference with the instruction to cry for the cameras. If I ever do a murder and Plod 'invites' me to do a press conference, I'll do a full confession there & then as it'll be obvious that they're onto me.

Motives? Hard to say. I've got teenage kids and could almost see his point occasionally. I settle for withdrawal of pocket money over mass murder though. Usually.

*probably.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    A typical scenario for a domestic fire with fatalities is:

Middle of the night, all asleep, wife hears a noise.

Husband sent to investigate, finds sofa/kitchen ablaze, shouts alarm to wife & kids.

Wife grabs baby and flees house.

Dad tries to rouse other kids who are befuddled and not responsive.

Dad tries to grab a child, others cower in bedrooms.

Fire now well away and smoke filling house to add to confusion.

Parents driven back by heat and smoke, children may try to open upstairs windows. Double glazed windows are hard to break.

All this takes seconds rather than minutes. Neighbours/passers-by will try to help but are usually too late or without the means to effect a rescue.

Emergency services arrive.

So much happens in such a very short time. Let us wait to let the case unfold before we draw any conclusions about what went on in Derby.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    CiB wrote:
    Obviously guilty* as soon as Plod wheeled them out into the press conference with the instruction to cry for the cameras. , .

No, they were genuinely upset at this point.

They thought they were going on Jeremy Kyle.

The older I get, the better I was.

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I always avoid speculating on this sort of thing as a matter or principle. If they were responsible then we'll find out as it goes through court. If, on the other hand, the police have got it wrong then on top of having perhaps the worst imaginable thing happen to them, they find themselves being pulled apart in the media. Let the justice system do its stuff and take it from there.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    The first thing I said to Mrs Giz when the news about 5 dead and 1 in hospital was on TV was "surely you would grab at least 1 child before leaving the house yourself?" I can understand people getting out without valuable, but without their children! Good job I'm not on their jury.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The parents didn't live inside the house, they lived in a caravan in the front garden, he wanted 2 council houses knocked in to one to house his kids......all 17 of them.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    It's a rum do, whatever happened.
    When the parents' arrest was announced, I too thought it was a ploy to get their bigger council house, that had gone terribly wrong.
    However, if that was the case, I'd have expected them (one or both) to have 'fessed-up to it already.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Horrible story. And 17 kids ? I cant even think of 17 names I like. I'd have to number them.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Motive could have been jealousy - 2 year old having higher IQ than dad.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Motive could have been jealousy - 2 year old having higher IQ than dad.
    shouldn't laugh a that... but i did
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Hard to tell what goes on in the minds of some people.
    :shock: :shock: :cry::cry::cry:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Capt Slog wrote:

No, they were genuinely upset at this point.

They thought they were going on Jeremy Kyle.

Already been on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX64Oj8Ua-Y

I've seen the bloke picking his kids up from school and got to admit he appeared well turned out, fairly popular with other people, and I know friends of friends who say he was a good dad. I've no idea what's gone on here - would anyone be stupid enough to set their own house alight with kids inside in the hope of getting a bigger house - beggars belief but I struggle to think of why else.

We'll see how it turns out - who knows - they've been charged but as yet not found guilty - at the moment it's just a terrible tragedy and we don't know what lay behind it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.