Saddle buying help

Spighty
Spighty Posts: 90
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
So my new used bike needs a saddle.

I'm in the west end of London today can anyone reccomend a place to get one from?

I don't want to pay the world for one. So keep it cheap.

What do I do about trying them?

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Starting reference point now seems to be the Charge Spoon which appears to fit quite a few arses nicely! £25 from most places and often to be found at £15-£20 it's a bargain way to start. (They suit me very well and I run them on 3 bikes).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Spighty
    Ok I will try that on my large behind
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good choice, of the people I ride with regularly, probably 9 out of 10 have them (the other being an idiot obviously).
    They're cheap and if you don't like it you can pretty much get your money back on Ebay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    WTB range -see CRC. I like the Devo. Saddles are a personal thing though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Spighty
    Would rather pay the extra and buy from a shop. Just been shafted by eBay for 450 quid
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    check for a funn stockist near by

same prices as charge, but different styling
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Evans stock the Charge Spoon.

http://www.evanscycles.com/stores/west-end

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I really tried to like my Spoon but it just wasn't right for me but they are great value for money and a good starting point. Wiggle have them on offer for £14.99 so even more of a bargain at the moment.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-spoon-saddle-with-cromo-rails-2011/
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    passout wrote:
    WTB range -see CRC. I like the Devo. Saddles are a personal thing though.
    This may or may not be useful, but if you like WTB saddles, then there's a good change that Bontrager saddles will suit you as well.
    Both work fine for me, anyhow.
  • Spighty
    I just got a charge spoon. Went to Evans in Mortimer st they was really nice in there.

They had a little seat post that I could test a few out on. The charge felt good plus to top it off it was in the bargain bin as it had damaged packaging so was only 8.99 can't go wrong with that.

I picked up a new one and he said if I didn't mind ripped cardboard there was one for over half price
    I'm impressed.

Wanted to buy more stuff in there but didn't have a clue what to get
  • Spighty
    Another quick one. What are the numbers printed in the frame of it forgot to ask in the shop
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For setting the position in the seatpost clamp, you can not what works and what doesn't, don't go beyond the markings.

£8.99 is a steel, you could sell it for more than that if you don't like it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Spighty
    I couldn't believe it I was having a bad day until then.

Right I will start at 0 on the seat and then try different settings when I ride each time
  • cooldad
    Start in the middle, whatever that is.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I got a Charge Spoon from Wiggle for £15 a couple of weeks ago. It is really good and fits my arse.
  • Spighty
    the middle is 12.5
  • cooldad
    The number is immaterial, just start in the middle and move a bit backwards and forwards until it feels right, and stay within the limits.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Spighty
    thanks didnt know weather to start on 0 and then work forward but i guess either will work