Used Boxxers yay or nay?

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I would like some coil Boxxers - RC, maybe R2C2 - for the Voltage for no other reason than everybody else seems to have them

However the price for some new ones is rather salty and I'm tempted by the Bay Of Fleas but some of the lads have been burned pretty badly with used Fox 40s and Boxxers that have needed more than just a service to get them running sweetly.

What do you think - would you chance it or buy new?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I know several people with used boxxers and they feel like sh*t. However they are a bit technophobe so probably have never ever serviced them. Never felt brand new ones though so they may just feel like that anyway!

There isnt much to go wrong with coil really, but whatever you buy they'll need a deep clean and service and i'd be tempted to completely replace all the seals right from the get go. The dust and oil seals particularly. Personally if you have the money i'd go new, so i voted for that. But really it depends what you want to spend so nobody can truly say.
  • .blitz
    My main concern is one lad bought some used 40s that were basically ruined and the cost of the refurb was :shock: someone else got some 32mm (?) WC Boxxers that seemed as though they had actually been used in one too many WC races and there are a few others who have said they wouldn't buy used DH forks.

If it was a trail fork I wouldn't be too concerned about it having a hard time but I wondered if it's inveitable that a used DH fork is going to be trashed :?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you buy through ebay then you should be fine. Ask lots of questions. When was it last serviced? How often have the lower legs been serviced? Have they been crashed? Are they straight? etc. etc.

If you get them and they're fucked then open a case with paypal.
  • bennett_346
    .blitz wrote:
    some 32mm (?) WC Boxxers
    Wow flexfest.
  • .blitz
    Hmm that's what I thought. But they're Boxxers! And WC Boxxers! What could go wrong :wink:
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Id buy used of someone with good feedback and just look for ones that seem in top condition, if they arn't as described send them back.

I've bought 4 pairs of forks of ebay 2 Revs, 1 Maz DJ, 1 Domain and with everyone I told the seller I would be getting them checked by my LBS and if any problems they would be coming back and all agreed to this before hand through ebay, so you have a record if anything goes wrong.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • .blitz
    1mancity2 wrote:
    ...with everyone I told the seller I would be getting them checked by my LBS and if any problems they would be coming back and all agreed to this before hand through ebay, so you have a record if anything goes wrong.
    cheers mancity I like that
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would buy new. Just because they are coil doesn't mean there is nothing to go wrong. They have got dual flow compression & rebound cartridges which are around £150 each + fitting. Bushes take a beating on DH forks, they are around £60 + £100ish for a service.
    Not much pont getting them checked by a local shop unless your local mechanic knows Boxxers particularly well. You will need to budget for a service at least.
    How about dual crown Domains? The Domain RC has the same internals as the Boxxer Race and isn't all that much heavier. The Domain is actually stiffer & more reliable than Boxxers and they seem to be a bit plusher as well.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Or some 2006 Marzocchi RC2X's - Solid!
  • .blitz
    thanks fellas. The Voltage already has some dual crown Domain RCs and for what I do they are perfectly adequate I just wondered if some used Boxxers would be a fairly safe buy but from what you and others have said they could be an expensive mistake.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Unless you go for the R2D2 Boxxers it's not a worthwhile upgrade. Doman RC is a solid & pretty nice fork.
    The R2C2 Boxxers need a lot of maintenance as they are a race fork, the Domain just needs a lower lube every few months and a service one a year though mine have gone 18 months without even a lower lube & still feel like new.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Not much pont getting them checked by a local shop unless your local mechanic knows Boxxers particularly well. You will need to budget for a service at least.

I never had to send them to the LBS, I just thought if the seller agreed 9 times out of 10 they would be fine, if they would not agree probably means the forks were shot.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bennett_346
    R2D2 Boxxers
    lol.
  • rockmonkeysc
    How about Totems? Only 180mm travel but the same axle to crown length as Boxxers & they are stiffer.
    There are some good deals on Totems. You can get a new set of RC2DH coil Totems for under £600.
    Because they are single crown you can do bar spins & even bigger whips than Danny Hart!
  • bennett_346
    You can get a new set of RC2DH coil Totems for under £600.
    Shhh don't say things like that, i'm saving up for a new car!
  • rockmonkeysc
    So am I but £3500 of the £4000 I saved is going on a new DH bike! Wonder if I can commute 55 miles a day on a DH bike?
  • .blitz
    How about Totems?
    hmm I must admit Totems are a popular choice for Voltages but I like dual crown forks and direct mount stems it puts me in the right frame of mind
    Because they are single crown you can do bar spins & even bigger whips than Danny Hart!
    no, I can't :)