Swiss Side Wheels

bianchibob
bianchibob Posts: 306
edited September 2012 in The bottom bracket
Have seen these wheels 'Heidi' on Ebay.
Seem quite a good price.
Also their advertising blurb seems quite compelling....anyone have any experience of them ?

Comments

• martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    This needs the link!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Link : http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=Heidi+wheel

Not sure which ones you're considering, but they look nice, although I'm not sure what the difference between the three wheel sets is. Never heard of them otherwise.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    Ride Heidi ?! :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    will they be delivered by Yodel :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pinno
    I've heard they are soft as Swiss cheese, with lots of holes in them; 38 in all.

Poor Heidi is looking a bit thin, not enough muesli
    >

swiss_side_authorised_dealer_banner.jpg

But despite that, she's quicker than her mate whos still up the mountain, whilst she is sunning it next to the lake listening to the lesser known Vienna boys choirs' Naked Nuns and Methodrone LP.
  • bianchibob
    bianchibob Posts: 306
    Well thanks to everyone who has replied....very constructive, hasc not helped one jot in making a decision as to whether to get a set or not, as they are a very good price.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    You might want to post this in 'Road Buying Advice'......
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    They look jeffy, aren't particulary light and come from a country based on stolen Nazi gold and art work that turned back fleeing refugees to the gas chambers and escaped prisoners of war that were fighting for a free Europe then denying it all for 50 years before putting their hands up and having to pay squillions in compensation.

Alright price (not especially fantastic) but not for the Yosster really - up to you if you want them though. I'd buy some P/X carbons in the sale for that money.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    1533g wheelset for £230? surely thats not to be sniffed at.
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    THe hubs are similar to the ones SOUL use in thier S2.0 MAx and they come with ceramic hybrid bearings whether thats a plus or not? Doesn't seem too bad but I wouldn't want to be the first :)
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    All three sets seem to be the same spec so the first price is good value the 2nd and 3rd not so.
  • maglianera
    maglianera Posts: 13
    And what is great Britain founded on? The conquering and domination of other nations. Not to mention the oppression of their people. They had a good hand in slave trading as well. What about the Irish famine? How many did they let die? People in glass houses....
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Yossie wrote:
    They look jeffy, aren't particulary light and come from a country based on stolen Nazi gold and art work that turned back fleeing refugees to the gas chambers and escaped prisoners of war that were fighting for a free Europe then denying it all for 50 years before putting their hands up and having to pay squillions in compensation.

You might want to read what Norman Finkelstein has discovered about this. You seem to have been affected by the World Jewish Congress' hate campaign against Switzerland. Dr Finkelstein presents the documentary record.
  • martinwitnam
    Just looked at the feedback for the seller of these wheels and noticed that one buyer actually stated that the wheels had made no difference to his bike!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • pinno
    Swiss 'no style' wheels ?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    1533g wheelset for £230? surely thats not to be sniffed at.

Agreed...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aren't the planet x type B about 1600gr and mine were under £100 so it's not that good an offer ?
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Would you spend £230 without a review? I wouldn't feel comfortable that I knew what I was actually getting.
  • martinwitnam
    How interesting that for the first time I've seen an advert for these wheels as one of the inter-thread banners!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • martinwitnam
    And you can buy direct from Swiss Side. And at current exchange rate they work out at about £220 with free delivery.

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • martinwitnam
    MattC59 wrote:
    Link : http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=Heidi+wheel

Not sure which ones you're considering, but they look nice, although I'm not sure what the difference between the three wheel sets is. Never heard of them otherwise.

I mailed the seller of the cheaper two pairs of wheels (cycling-insiders) to ask about the difference and they replied that there was absolutely no difference!! So why would anyone pay an extra £100?

I also mailed Swiss-side to ask about the weight of the skewers and it seems they are 104g for the pair.

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • Crossers
    Crossers Posts: 23
    .After many months of trying to decide on which wheels to buy to replace some mavic askiums, I went for the heidi's.. I have own a fair few wheelsets (mavics,shimano's,eastons,ritcheys etc) in my racing days i thought at 220quid why not. Glad i did. They are extremely well made and can climb better than any at this price point. I've had them since February and can't fault them. The only thing I've done is re-tensioned them after the first couple of hundred miles. I know they don't have a big name but hey, everybody got to start somewhere.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Heidi has been adapted 20 times.

Wasn't it sh1te the 1st time.

:roll:
  • Anyone tried the St Bernard set ..seem amazing value at 112 euros now and they look real nice but are tveru durable ?
  • I took the plunge on the St Bernards last week. They arrived next day, which was good. They look good and are a massive weight saving on the mega-cheapy stock wheels. I only got a cassette tool today, so over the weekend I've only had the front wheel on (with the old wheel, obviously!). Possibly a placebo effect, but it felt a bit better getting up to speed.
  • i looked at these but wasn't sure so plumbed for some Paul Hewitt built Open Pro rims with Miche Hubs (race box). they are as sweet as a nut, roll amazing well, I could nudge them leave the shed come back two days later and they'd still be turning :wink: £260 including P&P.

They might not be as light as these, I don't know really, but i'm no weight weenie and could lose a stone before i need to worry about a couple of hundred grams! :shock:
    Wot, get up early and ride to work?!.... Are you mad?
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Planet X model B's are good, so are the model A's and C's too.

Want to try their carbon clinchers.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • MattC59 wrote:

I also mailed Swiss-side to ask about the weight of the skewers and it seems they are 104g for the pair.

You're really that worried about weight but willing to skimp on price? :?