sleeping in a tent and not getting your bike nicked

jibberish
jibberish Posts: 151
edited June 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Anyone got any handy hints? 5 of us all in one man tents with 5 bikes. Got a couple of alarmios http://www.amazon.co.uk/TripNeeds-Alarmio-Versatile-Sensitive-Personal/dp/B0056GK11Q but no other clue other than locking all the bikes to each other.

Cheers for any help :-)

Comments

• Mr Bunbury
    Mr Bunbury Posts: 37
    Err, take your wheel skewers into the tent with you? The thieves should hopefully fall off noisily during the night.
  • jibberish
    jibberish Posts: 151
    Nice idea - and I'm up for that. Was kinda hoping to avoid them being bundled into a van rather than the odd casual ride away theft - but still good advice. :-)
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    use the skewers as pegs and tie a guy rope around the bike and through the wheels.
    sorted!
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Motion-sensitive alarm on a campsite? - you risk making yourselves very unpopular eg I doubt the alarmio is rainproof.

With five bikes I'd take a decent cable and a d-lock attached to something solid. Campsites are generally pretty safe, but if you are really worried and prepared to do some phoning ahead, most campsites will probably have some sort of storage.
  • danm99
    danm99 Posts: 22
    Go with Andy's advice, decent (long) cable lock with a D-Lock should do it. I have always used that system with (touch wood) no problems.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Be a real cyclist - put the shiny bike in the tent and sleep outside!?!?
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I'm not an expert on cycle camping, only been doing it for 3 years.

We take a bit of tarp big enough to cover the bikes, I use a longish cable with combination lock to link the two bikes together and put this through/around something solid. the tarp hides the bikes and helps keep them dry too! The tarp folds up into something like 18"x6" and is negligible in weight. it goes under my drybag on top of the rear rack, or inside the panniers.

on warm dry evenings though we don't bother as we often use the bikes as our clothes horse to dry our kit. We do look for a pitch that is out of the way and where the bikes can be partially hidden by the tent.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I met an old guy who had cycled about everywhere around the world and his method was to tie some fishing line around the bike and tie the other end to his toe or a bell of some sort. Five angry cyclists should be enough to stop a startled thief.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Put part of the bike under the tent flysheet, in the porch. Doesn't matter if it's not all under, just as long as you can see it and to get it out will require messing around with the tent. As long as you'd wake if someone tries to steal it.

Can't help but think it's odd that you have 5 one-man tents - that's a lot of weight compared to a couple of good, lightweight 2/3 man tents.
    More problems but still living....
  • Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789

No more secure than my suggestion and much less practical.

There's good reason why those stupid tents didn't catch on....
    More problems but still living....
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    better-half-by-jens-funk.jpg
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Ha! Like it.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I met an old guy who had cycled about everywhere around the world and his method was to tie some fishing line around the bike and tie the other end to his toe

Was this the same cycle tourist who camped out on the Mongolian Steppe and was awakened by a thieving Mongol horseman lassoing his bike and dragging it off, at high speed, behind his galloping horse.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    MichaelW wrote:
    I met an old guy who had cycled about everywhere around the world and his method was to tie some fishing line around the bike and tie the other end to his toe

Was this the same cycle tourist who camped out on the Mongolian Steppe and was awakened by a thieving Mongol horseman lassoing his bike and dragging it off, at high speed, behind his galloping horse.
    Hmm, possibly. At least he was never separated from his bike though. I asked this gentleman if he still had both his toes. He didn't laugh. :roll:
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Get a dog lead anchor

BU084400.jpg

Screw into ground and "D lock" central bike to this, then d lock the others to this in layers so that each lock secures two different bikes
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    As already mentioned just lock them all together and stick a "tarp" over them. 3 of us did LeJog a few years back and camped for over half of it on campsites - never had any problems.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    jibberish wrote:
    Nice idea - and I'm up for that. Was kinda hoping to avoid them being bundled into a van rather than the odd casual ride away theft - but still good advice. :-)

I think you'd have to be very unlucky to be targeted by a van-driving thief over the opportunistic theft. Relax about it or you'll never sleep!

Typically, if I do lock the bike up whilst camping, I am only carrying a light-weight cafe lock. That through the back wheel and a guy rope through a wheel/frame is more than enough to stop the opportunist - pop the front wheel in the porch to make sure the bike can't just be ridden off.
  • NickWi
    NickWi Posts: 5
    Has anyone actually had thier bike nicked whilst camping?
    If so, and be honest about this, how was it secured. :?: