Cassette advice for fulcrum racing 5

harrydaisy
harrydaisy Posts: 131
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
I need some advice around gearing ect - I hope you can help.

I run a wilier xp with veloce 2011. I have just upgraded the wheels to fulcrum racing 5. The Miche race wheels I had as standard run a 11/25 cassette. I find this ratio fine for a mixture of climbs and descents, but as I improve I wanted to know if I should change the cassette?

I don't want to have to change gearing, ideally I just want to stick a new cassette on the new wheels and off I go! Trouble is I don't really understand what the different ratios of gears will give me. Any help and advice would be appreciated?
Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    11/25 is a fairly standard cassette for anything but the steepest hills. It means on most routes you can keep your legs turning at the same speed (cadence) by changing gears when you go up or down slight inclines.

For steeper hills some like 11/28 or even 11/32 cassettes. The bigger cog gives them a lower gear for steeper climbs, but the wider range of gears means that the difference between each cog is greater.

Everything you wanted to know about gearing - http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html
  • harrydaisy
    That's great thanks for taking the time.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Where in the country do you live? As said - 12 -25 is pretty standard and many run lower gearing for the hills (I have a 11-28 Cassette ready to fit after i fix the freehub).

I'd be more inclined to lose the 11 sprocket than the 25 really. 12-25 will give you an extra sprocket where you will typically need it more. Do you use all the ratios you have currently?
  • Eyorerox
    Eyorerox Posts: 43
    As well as Sheldon Brown have a look at this
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/shift.html
  • harrydaisy
    Where in the country do you live? As said - 12 -25 is pretty standard and many run lower gearing for the hills (I have a 11-28 Cassette ready to fit after i fix the freehub).

I'd be more inclined to lose the 11 sprocket than the 25 really. 12-25 will give you an extra sprocket where you will typically need it more. Do you use all the ratios you have currently?

i live in the southeast (sevenoaks - ide hill) right in the middle of the kentish killer route, which if any one knows is very hilly. I get up all the hills in my top gear, the only hill I have to get off is Yorks Hill (Catford hill climb)!!

So perhaps its worth fitting a cassette with one extra spocket - would I have to change anything else? chain ect?
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Stay as you are, Yorks hill is fine on a 25, it will give you something to work towards. :)
  • harrydaisy
    porker33 wrote:
    Stay as you are, Yorks hill is fine on a 25, it will give you something to work towards. :)

Ha ha...def a lot of work needed!!