First Bike!

kontraband
kontraband Posts: 14
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
With the good weather I've decided to get fit and stop using the car as much.

Most of the time the bike will be used on pathways, cycle paths and roads. Ideally I want something light and fast that can take a beating.

The dilemma I'm in is actually choosing a budget and a bike. Part of me say's just get this http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html, job done. My sensible side is nagging at me saying it's too expensive, I won't get the best out of it, etc.

Does this bike come anywhere near the Rockrider in terms of quality and spec?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_786851_categoryId_165499_langId_-1?cm_sp=Intelligent_Offer-_-Product_Details_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PDPz1#tab2

What's peoples opinions on it as a first mountain bike? Would it do the job or would I be better just holding out for the Decathlon?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The RR8.1 is the better bike - 5lbs lighter, superior fork and components.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 8.1 is the better bike - as it should be for almost 50% more money!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kontraband
    Yeah thinking the Rockrider is the favourite at the moment. Was browsing http://www.paulscycles.co.uk however and there seems to be some big savings on older stock.

Saw this http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p1938 , older model but I don't mind if it's a better bike than the RR. I'm clueless looking at the specs on these things though.
  • The Rookie
    That's a blindingly good price, while in many way's it's better specced than the RR, the most important single feature is the forks and the RR's Recon shades that Tora on that Kona.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Tora XC and Recon Silver are pretty much the same fork mind ;-)
  • kontraband
    It's between the Kona, RR and Hoodoo.

What would be your pick?

I better stop looking at other bikes, I'll see something else then I'll be back to square one.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are all pretty good, which one grabs you? I'd probably end up with the Kona. Don't worry about the age. The bits are good, and spec went down around 2010 on most bikes - 2008/9 and earlier were bargains by comparison.
    (I ride a Kona FS though so am a bit biased)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kontraband
    You're right. Whatever I pick I'm probably onto a winner.

Put it this way, considering the Kona was £850 and now it's got a massive discount. Would I be mental to get something else, is it a steal?

One thing the Kona's spec doesn't tell you is the weight of the thing.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You would have been paying for the brand, so take a bit off for that. Still a bargain.
    No idea of the weight, but it's not a lump.
    BR review - not bad. Only let down by the fork but at this price you can't really grumble, and as good or better than the forks on the alternatives.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... a-08-28222
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    Don't get too hung up on listed RRPs - the TK Maxx effect is to make you think you have a huge bargain when actually no-one was buying at that price in the first place - (The '£300' pair of jeans now listed at 20 quid). The review is 2009 - but even then the BR review only lists it as £700 - and that is still a RRP which you may well have saved on at the time.

Doesn't mean it isn't still a good deal though....
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    If you click on the tech spec on the BR review it lists it as 13.6kg
  • kontraband
    Thanks for the info. Sadly the kona isn't in my size. I thought I'd be around an 18" and went to Halfords to double check before I ordered it. Sat on a 18" and it felt too small compared to two 20" that I sat on, which felt much better.

Shame because I really liked the kona.

It's looking more and more like the RR now, going up on Sun to hopefully try it out.
  • The Rookie
    supersonic wrote:
    The Tora XC and Recon Silver are pretty much the same fork mind ;-)
    Hence shades.....

20" sheesh you must be a big one!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    kontraband wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Sadly the kona isn't in my size. I thought I'd be around an 18" and went to Halfords to double check before I ordered it. Sat on a 18" and it felt too small compared to two 20" that I sat on, which felt much better.

Shame because I really liked the kona.

It's looking more and more like the RR now, going up on Sun to hopefully try it out.

Well thats not to say the 18" Kona wont fit you because the bike you sat on in Halfords doesnt, bike sizes are all different between brands there is no universal sizing (like clothing, some clothes I'm a medium some I'm a small).

Unless you know the bike you sat on and you can then compare bike measurements to get a more informed idea.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    From personal experience... I can't knock the VooDoos... The HooDoo is a good bike for the price but the RR seems better specced.

It's all about how you feel on the bikes aswell.

Try as many bikes that you're interested in as you can... Don't rush yourself, It's worth taking time over it.

And have you looked for second hand? I bought my first hardtail mountain bike after about 5 years of not riding last week, a VooDoo Bokor to be precise, Pretty much brand new condition and saved about £450 with ease! Super chuffed.

Anyway good luck and keep us all informed :)
  • kontraband
    Thanks everyone for the reply's and advice.

After thinking about it quite a bit and almost buying a Hoodoo, then almost buying a Boardman. I went to Decathlon today and bought a RR 8.1. Out of the three I liked it the most, the pictures on the web don't do it justice. Got one in size Large.

To be fair though they were all great bikes.

p.s I made sure to take the bell and reflectors off. 8)