What have I seen attached to someone's wheels?

smallender
smallender Posts: 8
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all - first post, after a long time lurking.
I followed a rider today while I was driving in and noticed that he had some strange contraptions inside his spokes, front and rear. I couldn't get a good look as I didn't get a chance to see him stationary, but there were two curved strips per wheel, around 4-6 inches long and sitting around 6 inches out from the hub. They were black and looked to be plastic, but not 100% sure.

I did see that he had a normal bike computer magnet on his front fork, so I'm stumped.

Any ideas what they were?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

img1228av.jpg
    to power the axle mounted LED.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • smallender
    Ah ha! That looks like it. Though I didn't notice him having any lights around his wheels. Can they be used to power lights up on the bars?
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    smallender wrote:
    Ah ha! That looks like it. Though I didn't notice him having any lights around his wheels. Can they be used to power lights up on the bars?

You! Out! Now! :roll:

:D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • nicklouse
    smallender wrote:
    may be not seen any they are not for seeing but an aid to be seen.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • smallender
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    smallender wrote:

What's up? I quite like the idea of some old school dynamo lights!
  • smallender
    nicklouse wrote:
    smallender wrote:
    may be not seen any they are not for seeing but an aid to be seen.

Good point, well made. I'll try to get a closer look if he slows down enough for me to catch him if I see him when I'm on my bike.
  • nicklouse
    they are ReeLights
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzef_xPWuTg

and they do do bar mounted kits.

http://reelight.com/
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    smallender wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    smallender wrote:

What's up? I quite like the idea of some old school dynamo lights!

Only kidding. Me too, but I was afraid you might be drawn towards the dark (bling) side with light-up wheels. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)