Coast To Coast Route

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited May 2012 in Tour & expedition
We are looking at doing a C2C in September and was planning on going from Whitehaven to Sunderland. Are these the best starting and finishing places? Also, is it better to go West to East or East to West? We live in Lancashire so I'm half thinking about starting it on the East coast.
Any routes / advice would be greatly appreciated.
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• Parcelman
    Parcelman Posts: 16
    Did the C2C route of Workington to Tynemouth last August. Fantastic route, cant recommend it highly enough. A large proportion is gentle off road and the on road sections are very quite country lanes

The usual way to ride is West to East cos of prevailing winds. Also it is suggested that doing it way makes the uphills short and sharp but the downhills long and gentle
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I did Whitehaven to Sunderland a couple of years ago. It's stupidly hilly. make sure you're well equipped and have a decent bike.
  • danm99
    danm99 Posts: 22
    Have done Whitehaven to Tynemouth numerous times, excellent route lots of 'lung burners' the first half!
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    Marvellous, I just love lung burners, not!!! Is there a particular start location and end location for `proper` classification?
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk